Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troubleshooting Elusive Involuntary Reboot

• Please log in to reply

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Gerry,

1. I am getting ready to label the power cords and power modules as old and new but have not completed that yet.

2. I installed the UPH Clean Utility.

3. I sent you the Everest Attachment.

4. The Compaq Presario 1510US Laptop was purchased about 3 years ago at Fry's Electronics in Fremont, CA with a 5 performance guarantee. I had the memory replaced at the Fry's Concord Store and I asked for the hard drive to be upgraded from the original 40 Gig to as large as the the machine would accept. The result was 100 Gig.

5. When this was being done I first asked to have the machine upgraded to Windows XP Professional at the Concord Store. That was done. I just called the tech who did the XP Professional Install. He said he went to the HP Website to get drivers. The machine on the front shows Presario 1500 not 1510US. Is it possible he could have used the 1500 label and got the wrong drivers?

6. The way I thought was appropriate to find the correct drivers was to go the HP site, select notebooks, select Compaq (vs. HP), then let the site identify the model. Then download the drivers from there.

7. I will go to the HP website according to your post and download those drivers beginning with the Synaptics Touchpad Driver. I will post again when the driver download and power supply change is complete.

Len Trimlett

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
5. Yes, possible

the rest, I will await results

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I agree with your question about the synaptics touchpad driver. I was not there when the tech did the installation. Note that Everest says that is a PS2 Port Driver.

I just started the driver updates but will not finish them till this evening (other outside business calls).

I went to the sight you referenced for drivers and tried to download the driver that says "Synaptics.Touchpad Driver'. In the installation procedure it told me that a later driver was installed and that I would need to remove the other driver before installing the specified driver.

I chose rather to download the driver that says "Compaq Notebooks Synaptics Touchpad Driver for Windows 2000/XP". Version 6XE4. It loaded fine. I am running with it.

When I looked at the Everest Report it looked all run together(unformatted text).

So I converted it to a word file and put it on my smogcheck 2 website where I have space.

http://www.geocities...ptop/Report.doc

This should be easier to read.

I will be working on the rest of the updates this evening as well as labelling the power cords.

Once finished the updates and power cord labelling I will run another Everest Report and post it on my website for you to look at. That is for this evening.

Len Trimlett

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Next step (and we're running out of steps), I think, is to open the case and put a small fan near it and blow it across the motherboard, then try to stress the PC

After that, we're going to have to start swapping parts--I do not think that your machine will allow us to tweak the voltage so we will have to swap parts...

do you have access to another PC that we can use parts from temporarily?

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
This is the FIRST of 6 POSTS(each addressing a separate issue) to respond to your most welcome assistance in chasing the reboot.

1. I have just been through driver downloads.
a. I got the Intel Chipset Utility Installation. It is inplace.
b. I did the Easy Access Buttons.
c. When the Synaptics Driver Download said that the driver in place was newer than the one being downloaded, I switched and downloaded the Driver Labelled"Compaq Notebooks Synaptics Touchpad Driver for Windows 2000/XP"
d. I downloaded the ADI Soundmax Audio Driver for Windows XP
e. I downloaded the "ATI Video and Control Panel Driver.
f. I was unsuccessful with the Conexant 56K AC Link Modem Driver for Windows XP. I could not get it to stop at the pause for the Active X Control Install nor to pass the integrity test.

I am not too concerned "f." as my connection to the internet is through the TMobile Wireless Card to a Two-Wire Modem that is just a couple feet away. I am putting the attachments over on my Smogcheck II website server with links so as not to clutter this site.

Here is a link to the post installation Everest Full Report.

http://www.geocities...ptop/report.htm

2. Next is to label and swap power cords.

This completes post #1

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Begin Post #2 of 6

All through this exercise, the clock that shows up in the bottom right corner of the screen will not synch up. If I set the time, it will very. Sometimes the day won't advance. Sometimes the time will fall behind sometimes it has a mind of its own. I have been trying to set it and clear the event windows so I know that I am getting just the results that follow the updates just completed.

I have posted the Word 2003 Error messages that show up at:

http://www.geocities...32timestamp.doc

Lack of a current accurate time does not bother me, but when I think back to basic electronics, all these chips are clocked from a central time source. If the system time clock is not synched would that possibly cause a reboot?

Len Trimlett --- End of Post #2 of 6

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Post #3 of 6

I installed the software for register useage at Logoff (Hive Save). I am seeing UPH Clean in the event information messages at various points which is the result of that install but I am still seeing an occasional message that "at logoff" the class register was still in use at logoff. Windows would release when possible but it saved it at logoff.

I would agree with your earlier comments that this is probably not related to the reboot.

End of post #3 of 6

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Begin Post #4 of 6

Previously, I posted a message about a browser error.

I am running two computers:

1. A Fry's Desktop Computer connected USB to the Internet through an SBC DSL 2 Wire Gateway. All is working fine.

2. The Compaq Presario 1510 Laptop...also tied to the SBC DSL 2 Wire Gateway through the TMobile Hotspot GC79 Wireless Card.

I am getting an Event Warning Message..."The browser was unable to retrieve a list of domains from the browser master (referencing my desktop). Then "The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master (my desktop). Later on I will probably get a message on the laptop that the master browser is shutting down. I am not running an servers other than SQL Server Express on the desktop. SQL Server Express is running on the Laptop also.

I am able to get to the internet on both machines through the DSL.

I doubt that this is related to the reboots, but would like to get your thoughts as to whether there is anything I should be doing about it.

End of Post #4

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Begin Post #5 of 6

The laptop computer was purchased about 3 years ago with a performance guarantee. Originally the tech replaced one of the 512 Meg ram chips but not the other. So I was left with one old and one new. A second tech said why not both so as a test we ran with just 512 meg of ram for several days.....just the new ram. It seemed work allright for several days so I got the second 512 meg ram chip.

During the time when I ran with 512 meg ram, the first test that I thought would stress the system would be disk defragmentation. So with Everest running I defragged the C: Drive.

Normal Ambient Sensor Temperatures were:

1.Motherboard -- Average 126F
2.CPU -- Average 104F
3.HDD -- Average 97F

Fan Speed: Either 9375 or 9975.

Then I ran disk defrag on the 100 gig HDD.

I monitored temp and fan RPMs. The results:

1. Highest Motherboard -- 153F
2. Highest CPU -- 145F
3. HDD was staying about 97 if I remember correctly. That has been quite a few steps back.

Fan speed dropped to 8875RPM. Since quite a bit has happened since that point I can go back and do another Disk Defrag and monitor both Everest Temps and Speed Fan......unless you have a more stressing program for me to download.

Len Trimlett

End Post 5 of 6

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Beginning Post 6 of 6

I purchased this Laptop with a Fry's 5 year performance guarantee. I am a little over 3 years into the 5 year period. If anything goes wrong during the 5 years I can send it back to the factory for repair at no charge to me. The performance guarantee covers it. But I need to be able to convince them. This problem has been illusive and what we have been doing lays the groundwork. The tests you have lead me through have been invaluable to me. I learned a lot. I still very attached to this laptop and want to solve the problem.

1. Hard disk upgrade from 40 to 100 Gig was my choice. I paid for it.
2. RAM was out of warranty, so I had to buy two 512 meg ram chips at $44 each. I paid for it.
3. Considering the 2 power modules I had were 2 to 3 years old I bought 2 new power cords and 2 new power modules. I have been running these tests with one of the new power modules. But I will next finish labelling the power modules and swap in the remaining power cord and module. The previous reboots did appear to slow down a little bit with the new power module. A fair test would be to compare reboots with the old and new once labelled.
4. I have just the one Compaq Presario 1510US Laptop and no spare parts. I do have the techs primed that if the system comes in again, it would be a complete motherboard and CPU replacement under the performance guarantee. If the paper trail is in place and it comes in 3 times for the same problem (in this case reboot) they will replace the computer. It it goes in now this is time #2.
5. It does not bother me at the appropriate point to take it in to the Concord Store and tell them to replace the whole motherboard but I do not have the luxury of parts interchange.

I will with great enthusiam run any stress test that you want me to do and follow all the steps you ask. It means a lot that you are systematically following through this with me.

Len Trimlett

End Post 6 of 6 ---- Back to you.

Advertisements

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I ran a disk defrag monitoring ambient conditions. Results were as follows:

1.Ambient Conditions before test

Everest
Motherboard – 122F ; CPU – 104 F; HDD – 86F ; CPU Fan – 9375

Speed Fan

CPU: 9375-9926
Fan 2: 12981-14063

Local Temp -50C
Remote Temp 1– 41C
Remote Temp 2 – 0 C
HDD – 30C
Temp 1 – 40C
Temp 2 – 52C
Temp 3 – 25C

2. At completion of disk defrag

Everest
Motherboard – 129F ; CPU—111 F ; HDD – 102F ; Fan – 9926

Speed Fan

Fans as above.

Local Temp – 55C
Remote Temp 1 – 46C
Remote Temp 2 – 0 C
HDD – 39C
Temp 1 – 46C
Temp 2 – 52C
Temp 3 – 25C

With 1 Gig of Memory CPU usage never went over 21%.

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Subject: Reboots

I have been tracking the involuntary reboots. I have not had any since about midway through the driver downloads.....in particular the Intel Chipset Utility Software Installation. I am still mentally tracking them.

Labelling of power modules is in progress.

I am still interested in what you had in mind as a stress test and what your thoughts are on the System Clock Synchronization Issue.

Len Trimlett

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Heavy load will stress the crap out of your system
http://www.jam-softw...are/index.shtml

So will Prime95
http://www.majorgeek...me95_d4363.html

As for time syncroniation...the Microsoft time server is always under a lot of pressure...double click the clock, go to INTERNET TIME and change the server

As for it not keeping time, this is generally an indication that the cmos battery is going---neither is a cause for reboots

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Running Comments:

1. I labelled power cords and power modules. Then I swapped in the second brand new power module and power cord. When I ordered replacements, I ordered 2 replacements for each. Results from here out are on a new power supply module and power cord. That would eliminate the power supply as a source of the problem.

2. I downloaded and installed HeavyLoad and P95. Only had time to make one run with each. Setting the left three buttons on Heavy Load with the default 3 sec update resulted in the following:

a. Motherboard - 142F
b. CPU -- 133F
c. HDD -- 95F

That was after about 10-15 minutes of play.

3. While I don't have any results yet for P95 I did get it to run.

4. What configuration settings of the buttons on HeavyLoad and update rate will stress the system best?

5. What configuration settings will stress P95.

6. I will make time this weekend for more runs with both of these.

7.I may even do some runs with them on my desktop which is a Pentium 4 at 3 GHz and 2.5 Gigs of Ram. I have made some Adobe Illustrator Collector Car Collage Files that are in the 200 Megabyte File Size. Saving Changes and Printing really stresses the system because ram requirements and file size. This will be useful. The collage pictures are 8 Megapixel Resolution.

Thanks -- Len Trimlett

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is still very odd how your motherboard temp is hotter than cpu....the censor must be reversed

that 142 is hot, but not outrageous for a system at full load.

Otherwise, things are stable, though?