Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory and HD speeds

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
So i can put PC4400 184-pin dual channel memory sticks in my AMD 939 3500 SLi mobo, rite? And if so is there a considerable performance gain? explain how a mobo that claim 2 handle only up to pc3200 can handle pc4400?

Is the performance gain in buying a raptor(10k rpm HD) noticable..........does it help load files much faster than a regular 7200 rpm?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The ram is automatically slowed down to pc3200, you get ram like that if you want to overclock as when you increase the chipset speed the memory speed goes up by the same amount, so if you have pc4400 it can be stable at a faster speed than pc3200 can.

Raptors are actually slower than the new SATAII drives with the 16Mb cache they are a complete waste of money(they kind of always were a bit frivilous now they are utterly pointless).

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

So i can put PC4400 184-pin dual channel memory sticks in my AMD 939 3500 SLi mobo, rite? And if so is there a considerable performance gain? explain how a mobo that claim 2 handle only up to pc3200 can handle pc4400?

Is the performance gain in buying a raptor(10k rpm HD) noticable..........does it help load files much faster than a regular 7200 rpm?

The pc 4400 DDR will work in any motherboard that supports the pc3200 standard memory. They have the same number of pins. Its not DDR2 if that is what your thinking about. Only ddr memory will work on a ddr motherboard. You cant use DDR2 memory on a motherboard that supports DDR memory unless it has is a motherboard designed for Regular DDR and DDR2 both. Some motherboards can use ddr and ddr2 which they will have 2 channels for each type of memory. I know that the motherboards say up to pc3200 but that doesnt mean jack.

Pc 4400 184 pin ddr memory will fit in a Regular ddr motherboard. Its used mainly for overclockers that like to push the front side bus of the memory quite abit past the default mhz speed.

Basically it was designed just for the overclocker in mind. On an amd motherboard/pc any memory will work great because amd's dont need high speed memory as much as an intel would but, if you are wanting to overclock an opteron dual core, amd x2 dual core etc the higher memory speed will help you reach a better overclocking goal.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Thx 4 the help. If never seen a SATA II. Did i just not notice at etailers?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They have been around for a few months now.