Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I Think I Have A Virus, please read

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Booting up my computer, before it gets to the Windows ME startup screen, it says:
Invalid system Disk, replace the disk then press any key

I've booted from a Win95 Bootdisk (Floppy)

I can get on the computer now, just most of my desktop icons are gone.
The wallpaper has changed and my screen size is bigger.

Everytime i click the start button it hangs,

I've opend My Computer which is on the desktop, and I get a message that says ActiveX is not enabled, some pages may not be displayed correctly..

So i right click the desktop to enable active X and it says it cannot find a .dll file to open it click ok to disable active x

So i searched the missing .dll file and it found it on the computer

then i tried to open a picture it said it coudlnt find a .dll file to open it
so i searchd the C: drive again, and it found it in the Windows directory...

it cannot find the files to run the programs but its still on the computer after i searched it

Im going to buy a virus removal program , but if its not a virus i dont want to waste my money

I dont have the WindowsME installation disk anymore either :tazz:

please helllpppp

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

You may need to download the programmes with another PC to run on this one

Are you able to borrow an ME CD

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Thanks for the reply so fast, I haved burned that onto a cd..but the program wont open, Apparantly i cannot open anything on my computer : ..im very frustrated... I have bought Fix-It Utitlies 6 Professional, and it hasn't been much of a help, so im just confused of what to do. :) :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens when you try to run anything, messages etc

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
No other messages come up except its tells me activeX is disabled... I can't do anything from the start menu cause whenever i click it, it freezes up, not the whole computer just the start menu, and im opening My Computer from the desktop, i cant see anything in the folders, it shows a red X in it..I dont know what happened.....I've scanned it with a 2002 Norton Virus Disk, nothing found but its a 2002 Disk so its very outdated. If worst comes to worst i'll just have to format my drive and start from scratch :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow an ME CD

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I gotta see if I can get one, so what would I do with the disk, restore windows files?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, even if it is a virus, you need to be able to run things

If you have to buy windows, you could consider using XP if the PC will run it

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ok, I have borrowed windows Me disk ... I just don't know what to type in on a command

Edited by Charliee03, 12 March 2006 - 03:10 PM.