Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 msvcrt.dll error

• Please log in to reply

BSUmerc

BSUmerc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am enrolled in a networking class. I asked my classmates about a good freeware subnet calculator, and one of them referred me to Net Tools 4, a group of networking tools.

The download prompted a window which stated:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msvcrt.dll
An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
DeleteCode failed; code 5.
Access is denied

Now, I have problems. I have attempted to reboot. At the network password prompt a caution window labelled RUNDLL states that a device attatched to the system is not functioning and that there was an error loading powerprof.dll.

After the system password prompt, a window says that powerprof.dll is linked to missing file ADVAPI32.DLL:RegOpenCurrentUser. Also, ICMP cannot start.

Since ICMP cannot start, I cannot access my home's network, and therefore, the internet.

Also, I cannot find the Windows 98 startup disk my parents used to load the computer. Since they run a business and the computer used to be theirs, I can guarantee the software is legal. So, if there is any way to fix the above problems without reloading Windows, it would be much appreciated.

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Edited by BSUmerc, 24 February 2006 - 09:55 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
1st step is to see if you have the cab files on your computer
C:\WINDOWS\Options\Cabs
if they are there then we can extract the file.
If not have one of your friends got 98 if so copy it to a floppy
then go to the windows system folder and rename the current msvcrt.dll
to msvcrt.old then copy the one from the floppy to the windows system folder.
reboot.
You will have to start the computer in dos mode to do this - not via windows dos

BSUmerc

BSUmerc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
There are nearly 150 items in options\cabs. What is the name of the file am I looking for? Do I just double-click setup?

Also, I found an unused copy of Office 2000 for Windows 98 in my home. It wouldn't have msvcrt.dll in it though, right?

I have minimal experience with DOS. Could someone please link me to a list of DOS commands for copying files and dealing with hidden files?

Edited by BSUmerc, 25 February 2006 - 06:54 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Try this step 1st
To extract files in Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition, use the System File Checker tool. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type sfc, and then press ENTER.
3. Click Extract one file from installation disk.
4. In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type drive:\windows\path\file (where drive is the drive where the Windows folder is installed, generally drive C, path is the destination of the file that you are extracting, and file is the file that you want to extract).
5. Click Start, click Browse next to the Restore from box, and then locate the Windows installation files. By default, in the OEM version of Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition the installation files are on the hard disk in the C:\Cabs folder. With a retail full version or upgrade version, you can also insert the Windows installation CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then locate the Windows installation files. The folder is named "Win9x". For example, if your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is D:, the folder is named "D:\Win9x". For Windows 98, the folder is named D:\Win98.
6. Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If not try thi step

Ok this shows how to do it with a Cd OR with the cab files
Which is what you have.

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Msvcrt.dll from your original Windows CD to the Windows\System folder. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Insert a Windows 98 Startup disk, and then restart your computer to a command prompt. Select Start computer with CD-ROM support.
2. Record the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive. For example, E:.
3. Insert the Windows 98 CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
4. At the command prompt, type C:, and then press ENTER.
5. Type CD\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
6. Type Rename msvcrt.dll msvcrt.old, and then press ENTER.
7. Type A:, and then press ENTER.
8. Type Ext, and then press ENTER.
9. At the Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files (a:) prompt, type drive:\win98 (where drive is the drive letter that you recorded in step 18), and then press ENTER. For example:
E:\win98 <ENTER>
NOTE: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of Windows, the CAB files may also be located in the following folder:
C:\WINDOWS\Options\Cabs
10. At the Please enter the name(s) of the files(s) you want to extract prompt, type Msvcrt.dll, and then press ENTER.
11. At the Please enter the path to extract to ("Enter" for current directory) prompt, type C:\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
12. At the Is this okay? (y/n) prompt, type Y, and then press ENTER. The file is extracted.
13. Remove the Windows 98 Startup disk, and then restart the computer

Edited by peterm, 25 February 2006 - 07:38 PM.