Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help With My HeatSink!

• Please log in to reply

kikkoman_2390

kikkoman_2390

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Guys, I need some help with my heatsink. I bought a thermalright SI-120 and just installed in without much problem but the thing is my cpu (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+) is running hotter than it was when i had the stock fan on. Before it ran at 40-41 idle but know its running at 42-44 idle. Anyone have any ideas?!? Please help me!

P.S. The Fan I'm Using Is A Cooler Master Fan (TLF-S12-EB).

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
check your thermal paste

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like you didnt put it on right, remember teh amount of thermal paste you need is very small you only need a very fine film any more and i degrades performance, and are you using arctic silver 5 for the paste.

kikkoman_2390

kikkoman_2390

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was using the arctic silver 5. So are u saying that i should reapply the thermal paste because other forums are saying that i should wait a little while because arctic silver 5 takes sometime to set in. so how much thermal paste should there be, like 1 and 1/2 grain of uncooked rice?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Generally the tiniest of tiny amounts, (depends on the rice i suppose) but a couple of milimeters worth anyway not much more, its usually a pretty immediate affect, when did you do it?

kikkoman_2390

kikkoman_2390

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I put about maybe 3 grains of rice size, this was done last night. what should i do?

Edited by kikkoman_2390, 25 February 2006 - 11:04 AM.