Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Processors?

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
yer, i wouldn't mind any, it's just, well, hard to say lol. right now i think both are great but nVidia seems to have more driving force backed by AMD. but one thing i'm interested in is, do manufacutrers make thier stuff work worse on other things. AMD filed a lawsuit saying intel programmed it so some intel backed programms are made to run bad on AMD, will an ATI gfx card run worse in an nForce4 chip the a nVidia because nVidia will make the BIOS suit their chips more? it's interesting, will ATI 200 mobos work worse with a 7800GTX than a X1800XT, it's a thing that's puzzled me

Advertisements

Bojangles87

Bojangles87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
maybe its just my 9250 then. i read reveiws on it. and everyone said it was good or half decent.. but the main point is that i got my radeon for extremely cheap. it was like 49$ brand new.. its powered by ATI . but the board is made by sapphire. i dont know if that matters much. 64 bit with 128MB DDR Memory. now all that sounds good. and im sure this card must be awesome in like a NOT so new P4 . maybe like a 1.7 Ghz .. or a 2.0ghz. but im running a junky PC.. and only recently have i gotten into PC gaming. but thats only because all my friends had souped up gaming machines. and i was laggin behind with this relic. i was mostly a console gamer. (100% ps2.. SOcom 3 :tazz:) but now i've seen the light. and all the little cools gadgets that come along with it.. i just purchased the logitech G5 mouse. and the G15 keyboard. got the set all for $100 at this corner electronics store. i thought it was too good a deal to pass up.

To sum it all up. i really enjoy PC's and i wanna learn alot more by having a powerful machine and expiramenting. but i dont know squat about like. motherboards. and like.. whats a cheap mobo but always works wonders. im trying to build a budget gaming AMD. and my price range unfortunatly stands at roughly $800... but thats Canadian Dollars

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol the 9250 is a slooow card, its equivalent to a 5200 from nvidiaive Amd has no preference for AMD in fact alot of the guys at AMD use ATI but it does have a huge European presence which partially explains that, but AMD dont really have a relationship with card makers past the motherboard really.

No they have no preferance to which it uses as they have to comply with certain technical specifications for the interface they will work equally well on either.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
that's good to hear, then i won't be getting bad preformance cos one manufacturers favour another sort of thing

Bojangles87

Bojangles87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey warriorscot. i was wondering. i was looking at your system specs. and i decided to look up on the AMD 3200+ Venice. It looks like an amazing CPU and i think i can score one for cheap. i just want to know. if i have 1GB of ram, my initial 128Mb radeon, and like.. a decent motherboard. can i play games such as CD: Source, Doom 3 and 3 Ressurection, Quake 4. and F.E.A.R ? at like their maximum potential? i will definetly upgrade to a 256 MB nvidia if you clarify those small aspects for me. cause at the moment. i beleive that games like quake 4 and fear are really pushing the PC's limits. and as long as something along the lines of your system can pull it off. i would pick up the 3200+ Venice in a heartbeat. ALSO. before i forget. could you please tell me what motherboard i should use with the 3200+? i would like it if the mobo had an AGP slot. because i can score a 256MB Gforce for $79 or 89.
thx again for everything.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 3200+ is a good cpu and its great value, however the CPU is not the limiting factor for games its the gfx card. If youre playing with a 9250 youre going to be struggling to run it at even medium to low settings even if you had an fx-60 and maxxed out ram.

Its not how much ram the card has its what the card is, what is the cards model number, however you do not want an AGP socket ideally as while also costing more AGP cards are outdated they are an oboslete socket the only cards made for them that are new are cards like the 6800GS that are slower versions of chips they no longer make the top of the range cards for AGP youll have alot of diffciulty upgrading in the future with an AGP slot.

Bojangles87

Bojangles87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok. so i should consider a PCI-E card? that probably leave a gash in my pocket. but im getting my second cheque soon. so i guess its worth it. i went to NCIX.com and i saw the AMD 3200+ for about $200 CDN, im thinking thats pretty good. and the mobo that goes along with it is an ASUS AN8 .... is like another $180. im gonna order as soon as i can. the box doesnt really matter to me THAT much at the moment. i might pick up a custom box or build one. i've made a 2 of them using plexiglass. difficult but fun.
anyways. could you tell me if that ASUS AN8 is good? or if i should look into something else. i saw the specs on it . it has like a bunch of PCI slots. 2 pci-e slots. and 2 others i couldnt tell if they were agp or not.
oh yea. lol i just checked out the price on a PCI-E Radeon [bleep] i forgot the model number. its a 128MB. its $229 ! [bleep]. thats another wait for half a cheque :tazz:

LONG LIVE MY PIII !!!!!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont get the AN8 its sucks pretty badly in terms of reliabilty, get a plain NF4 board not an SLI, MSI or gigabyte or good and cheap.

I cant judge currency differences they usually run £120 ro £130 here so it seems a bit much but again canadian prices i know have always been high, Whats the price for something like a 6800GS its one of the best cards in terms of price performance and should be able to run anything you throw at it very well.

Bojangles87

Bojangles87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
HAHAH the 6800GS is $649.99 plus taxes.. its about $775 for that card. it worth more than my soon to be PC :tazz:. i wish man.
another question that springs to mind is.. your 3200+ Venice is it 939 Pin or 754 pin? im trying to see if i can get a package deal with a good mobo and the venice 3200+

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

HAHAH the 6800GS is $649.99 plus taxes.. its about $775 for that card. it worth more than my soon to be PC :tazz:. i wish man.
another question that springs to mind is.. your 3200+ Venice is it 939 Pin or 754 pin? im trying to see if i can get a package deal with a good mobo and the venice 3200+

LOL in the USA you can get a 6800gs For $170 now to $220.

Get the socket 939 chip, dont get the socket 754 its old like the socket 478 is for a pentium 4. Just an example..

Get a socket 939 mobo also..

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wow those are some ridiculous prices(whats the exchange rate for US/CND an international shopping trip may be in order. Thats really hugely expensive though it should be more than the CPU but not by that much even if any they are only £130 to £140 here or £170 for the 512Mb bliss version.

Bojangles87

Bojangles87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i really dont know the exchange rate. but yea i saw the card. its definetly 699.99$... why? i cant answer that one :tazz:. but yea..too rich for my blood. i've decided i will get the 3200+ venice.. lets hope to god www.ncix.com send me the S939. because on the product description it says "available in socket 754 and 939" ALSO. i need someone to tell me if this is a good mobo.

http://www.ncix.com/...manufacture=DFI

will this mobo be good for the 3200+ venice?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the ultra D is a good board but its also one of the most expensive, i dont think they made the venice in 754 i have never seen one in 754 and AMD generally dont span core types and sockets new sockets have new cores usually.

Bojangles87

Bojangles87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
actually i saw the same board in S754 and S939. at NCIX.com , and i thought it was pretty cheap... its $150 CDN. which isnt really that bad at all. NCIX gives good deals.. i can get both the CPU and mobo for like $300. Do you know what kind of Ram that Mobo uses? i have 2x 256 DDR chips in my p3 at the moment. i think its 233mhz on top of that. i know its slow. but it could possibly work out until i find a good deal on 1 or 2 GB ram chips. im mostly concerned about what goes in the PC. i dont really care what the box looks like at the moment. :tazz: i might be able to build one of the cheapest gaming PC's ever. :S i really dont want to have to use the 9250 tho.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The same board, were on cpus here those are chips, and venice is 939. If its an NF4 its DDR400 max for the ram, value ram is dirt cheap you can pick up 1Gb generic sticks for very little which would do until you could get better.