Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Processors?

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
LOL poor canada. it's almost like that in NZ but we don't have that bad a problem. last i checked the X1800XT was running at around 481 USD which is quite cheap but that's because of the current exchange, should be around 500USD to be more accurate. we have stupidly priced CPUs though but 250Gb HDDs have gone mental and are now lower than 200Gb equivalents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm gonna check the prices now, cya

Advertisements

Bojangles87

Bojangles87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
well i stopped by the PC store today. met the owner. seems like a pretty cool guy. im getting a good discount cause im advertising for him. i should have word on the total cost of the PC im gonna get built. The only thing i need only on at the moment is..... (drum roll please), yea the guy suggested that i get the 3800+ Barton AMD Athlon. i have no idea on that one. he said it was a good overclocker with a certain AsRock mobo. but i should be gettin an appraisal on the price of the parts in a few days. so i'll let you guys know.

Bojangles87

Bojangles87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry for double posting. but i have another small question

Lets say i want to change the CPU on my mobo at the moment. i have a 1ghz pIII laying around that fits my mobo. i have a socket 370.

will my Hard Drive still recognize my comp if i make the switch? or will i have ot reinstall everything?
im just trying to see if there is a minor or major performance difference between 733mhz and 1ghz .

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

well i stopped by the PC store today. met the owner. seems like a pretty cool guy. im getting a good discount cause im advertising for him. i should have word on the total cost of the PC im gonna get built. The only thing i need only on at the moment is..... (drum roll please), yea the guy suggested that i get the 3800+ Barton AMD Athlon. i have no idea on that one. he said it was a good overclocker with a certain AsRock mobo. but i should be gettin an appraisal on the price of the parts in a few days. so i'll let you guys know.

you will regret getting the Barton, they make them on Socket As and they are OLD as ow. I have one and i feel the pain on limited parts supporting it. About the HDD, it should be ok, especially with SATA, just plug it in and away you go. it should detect the HDD, just make sure, if you already have Windows installed, go to the BIOS and set the first boot to HDD. if you are installing a new OS, then select CDROM
(most OS come in CD)

R-Dub

R-Dub

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm looking at attempting my first build and was thinking of coupling an AMD 64 X2 with the Asus A8n SLI deluxe. I showed my parts list with specs to the IT guy at work and he thought that because the motherboard has a 1000mhz FSB that it would limit the processor, which has a 2000mhz FSB. Someone else had tried to explain to me how the FSB runs on multipliers and said that it wouldn't be an issue.

Can somebody please advise me on this? I know Abit makes a motherboard rated at 2000mhz FSB.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
he probably mixed MHx with MTs a thing i hat about AMD. 1000MHz is 2000MTs so make it clear about that. also this site has had a lot of bad stuff about ASUS so go for MSI or DFI, gigabyte like that. the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum OR Gigabyte GA-K8NXP9 or stuff

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just so as not to anooy gerry its just that oarticular board and the older AMDs were before my time but are supposed to be as unreliable.

But the MSI,DFI and Abit boards are all just as good and cheaper if not better as is the case on most fronts.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Get a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
no way man, get the Opteron 165 Dual Core, way way way better