Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

floppy drive

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hey guys,
i no this seems like a stupid questiosn but... if i plug a new floppy drive into my comp will windows xp just pick it up or will i have to doe sumthing in the bios? are floppy drives just plug and play cause i bought one from a shop and it didnt come with any drivers so i just think that as soon as i plug it in it should work am i correct? now when i do plug it in should i do it when the comp is on and i am logged in windows or switch it of then let the bios detect it.
sorry dumb question but thanks for the advice

the reason why i ask is cause i was told hat back up programs can create bootable cds but all of the back up programs i have used emulate floppys but not make bootable cd's thanks

Edited by troppo, 25 February 2006 - 03:01 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. If you are replacing a floppy drive no need to change the bios. If you are installing a floppy drive on a system that didn't already have one, it needs to be enabled in the bios.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i am installing a new 1
i have i floppy drive bay and it is being occupied by a card reader so i have to mont it in a 5 1/2 inch bay
so do i turn of the pc before plugging it in or can i do it when logged onto windows
thank you

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You need to shut down the pc and remove ac power connection before connecting the floppy drive.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
just to clarify:
turn of pc
connect floppy drive
enable it in the bios
and then it should work without having to install any drivers or anything?
thankyou for your assistance

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Once it installed and enabled in the bios, windows should detect it and install any driver it needs (usually all that is needed is a generic floppy driver)

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ah thankyou so much,
yet another question answered by the geeks to go team :tazz:
cheers :)
troppo