Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VPN w/RV042 from Linksys

• Please log in to reply

usedtoknowalittle

usedtoknowalittle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Has anybody used the RV042 as the VPN server and connected to it (successfully) using the XPPro or 2kPro VPN client? The RV042 has a setting in its GroupVPN policy that specifically recognizes the XP/2K client (theoretically). Linksys has a knowledgebase article that specifies how to set up IPSec on the XP/2k machine with its BEF series of VPN routers. Linksys support says that the RV042 works the same way as specified in the knowledgebase article.

No joy.

Linksys says that my settings on the RV042 are correct and that they consider the Microsoft VPN client a "3rd party client" that they therefore do not support. That is, I'm on my own.

I would be happy to list all of the settings on the RV042 and on the XP machine I'm trying to connect with. But if nobody has done this before, or if nobody thinks they can help, that might be a waste of bandwidth.

Anybody up for this? I would sure appreciate it.

BTW, I can access the RV042 remotely via a webbrowser on the XP machine I'm trying to connect with so I know the RV042 router is on the net.

TIA

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What are the details on how you're supposed to set this VPN up with this router? Does it have you run a network setup wizard and choose a VPN setup? I've never dealt with a VPN router before but I'm definitely interested in trying to help you out.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

ixenator

ixenator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am setting up a VPN with the same router and would also like to use the native windows client. If you have found a good solution, please email me ( jacob [.at_] quant {d0t} us ) otherwise email me and I'll remember to post here when I get it all setup.

Jay

UPDATE: I ended up using the linksys QuickVPN client program. It's really slick and you have the licenses with the rv042 already. I'd still like to get it working w/o but am trying to keep it easy for my clients.

Edited by ixenator, 09 September 2005 - 06:20 AM.

johanesku

johanesku

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem.. please send me good configuration..email: johanesku@o2.pl

ixenator

ixenator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just a note... I found that it's easier to try connecting from a computer directly on the internet (e.g. not behind a NAT device/firewall). You should be able to get it working from inside a private subnet, but starting with the other helps debug the big problems first.