Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have no desktop, WININET.DLL Missing

• Please log in to reply

Bumlin

Bumlin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have no desktop its only a blue back ground and I have tryed everything for this to get it to work. my computer wont read my recovery cd. I cant do alot on this computer besides surf the net, for the most part it says that it cannot find WININET.DLL i have downloaded this file from numerous sites and nothing not one stinking thing. Im at a lose of what to do. I dont want to send my computer to some stupid computer place and pay alot of money. And i also just bought a second recovery cd (thought old one was bad) but i think its just my CD-ROM. The only way i can do anything is opening the Windows Task Manager and browesing for things and opening them. Im on Windows XP, does anyone have a suggestion on what i should try???? Please help and thanks

Edited by Bumlin, 25 February 2006 - 04:07 AM.

Advertisements

killfc

killfc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I assume if you run new task from the task manager and type explorer.exe the same error comes up. what os are you using and also when you have downloaded the file where have you put it.

Bumlin

Bumlin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
im using a compaq persario 3000+ AMD Sempron Proccessor 512 mb 120 GB, not really good with this stuff, i only really know the basics, and i finnaly got to where i could restore it and when i would restore it, it would just go to the same thing and wouldnt actually restore my computer.... im at a loss. Thanks for the help

killfc

killfc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, so where did you actually put the wininet.dll file once you had downloaded it. what were you doing immediatly before getting this problem, as it appears some spyware can try to disguise itself as this file so maybe you were infected and your av deleted it.

also if you still have your xp disk you can try the following link to restore the original file from the disk to where it was before.

http://www.microsoft...ons_expand.mspx

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoa, this is likely a malware issue

Several malware programs overwrite winnet.dll and replace it with their own and this can be tricky to fix

Please make a post in the malware section with the TOPIC line "NO DESKTOP, missing Wininet.dll"

Someone will direct you how to fix this quickly and (relatively) easily

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If they say it is not a malware issue, please return to this thread

Bumlin

Bumlin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No one has helped me on the malware fourm.... but when i run Cleanup! while i dont have a desktop nothing happens but makes my desktop appear, then whenever i try and to the cleanup again it says it cant find that stupid WININET.dll file. ive downloaded this file and put it in the right spot but it still says it cannot find it. errr HELP please

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please be patient -- there is a back log in malware

Mangebange

Mangebange

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi !

I (almost) got the same problem. I have no desktop and it complains that WINNET.dll is missing (not wininet). Did you solve the problem ? /M

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Mange: Please start a new topic in malware. Helping two people in one thread gets confusing. :tazz:

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.