Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wininet.dll corrupted by virus...help plz.

• Please log in to reply

Vedderman23

Vedderman23

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My wininet.dll has become infected by W32/Alemod.f.dll. The file cannot be cleaned, quarantined, or deleted by McAfee since it is being used by IE. I downloaded it from http://www.dll-files...s.shtml?wininet and tried to install it over the existing one, but it also will not allow it, again because it is being used. I have not tried booting in safe mode yet as I do not want to risk losing any info on my computer by deleting it if I do not have the right version. I have Win XP SP2.

I also have a white screen coving my backgroup with a URL of file://C:\WINDOWS\warnhp.html All of my icons are on the screen and I can do everything normally, I just have the white screen covering my background and McAfee popping up repeatedly warning me of the Virus.

When doing a check with Adaware, some registry entries came up with AlfaCleaner. I deleted those and also uninstalled AlfaCleaner as it had installed itself.

Any help would be appreciated, I work with computers, but I am a little over my head with this issue. If I need to post logs or anything, plz tell me what you need and how to do it. Thanks.

12:35 pm Just now, AlpahCleaner reinstalled inself, after I uninstalled it last night, no doubt associated with this Virus in some way.

Edited by Vedderman23, 25 February 2006 - 11:32 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Vedderman23! Welcome to G2G!

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

Fenor

Vedderman23

Vedderman23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks, I've actually been looking over that. I'll give that a go and see how it all goes. Thanks for the quick reply.