Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinkpad Battery Discharge

• Please log in to reply

Elderchuck

Elderchuck

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Thinkpad iseries 1200
Have tried new batteries, new bios, full discharge/recharge
Taken out, left in, followed all available tech procedures I know of.

After charging appears fully charged and reports full charge. Will work for three hours or more.

Batteries still discharge within 24 hours even when out of the laptop.

HELP :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G.
Apologies for the delay in replying to your problem.

Its not unusual for a battery that is left in the laptop with the power disconnected, to discharge fairly rapidly but it shouldn't discharge this quickly if its been removed from the laptop altogether.

This may be a long shot of course but have tried running PC Doctor (I believe it has battery diagnostic tests)? If you don't already have it, you can download it form this link :

http://www-307.ibm.c...cid=MIGR-4PBMD8

Elderchuck

Elderchuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, I will give it a shot when I get home. The smart batteries sometimes do this and the tech support says pancake the battery with all warnings turned off to insure maximum discharge however, that has never fixed this problem and I cannot take the laptop anywhere without access to AC. Thanks again, I will let you know.

Elderchuck

Elderchuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My PC Doctor won't operate under XP and Lenova does not provide an updated version. Is there another diagnostic I can run?

Elderchuck

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Are you actually booting from the floppy disk (i.e disk 1 of 2)? If not, then you need to as the utility is dos based & won't run under XP (as you've just found out!)

Elderchuck

Elderchuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, so now I have figured out that I am trying to resurrect a Dinosaur that does not have a floppy drive, does not have a CDRW, nor does it have a DVD RW.

Could not configure my network to work through the proxy server nor could I save to my desktop and transfer by jumpdrive. Thanks anyway, nice laptop that's all dressed up but no place to go. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If it has no floppy drive or optical drives, then this probably means that it requires a docking station, rather than it being simply too old to have those drives.

Even if you could transfer the file onto the laptop, it still won't help because you actually need to boot from an external disk (which you don't have) in order to use the diagnostic tool.

Given that you cannot easily run any diagnostics etc, my best guess that the problem is caused by one of the following things:

1. Worn out battery or cell

2. Battery being charged incorrectly (e.g wrong voltage/current). If the laptop has an external power pack (as opposed to an internal one where you will have just a cable connecting the laptop to the mains power without passing through an external power adapter), then check the power specs on the power adapter & the power requirements that should be wrriten on the underside of the laptop itself.

Which type of battery do you have - Lithium Ion or Nickel metal hydride?

Elderchuck

Elderchuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The power supply was suspect before and was replaced. PS Output is 16V 3.36A. Laptop input is the same.

All three batteries are: FRU P/N 02K6692 ASM P/N 02K6693 NI-MH 9.6V 4.5A

IBM Support states that this a Thinkpad model 1161-260 (1200 series) will not support Li-Ion batteries.

My power supply PN FRU 02K6550 is listed as one of the power supplies supporting this machine.

http://www-307.ibm.c...cid=MIGR-4LRGNU

I really do appreciate your hanging in here...thanks...

Elderchuck

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thanks for all the part numbers etc, thats really useful.

It certainly seems like you're using the right battery. Or at least the Battery 02K6692 is listed as the correct one. can't find a reference for the 02K6693, but I don't suppose it's much different, if at all, to the other one.

I gather from your original post, that at least one of these batteries is (or was) brand new, right? I assume you did follow the correct charging procedures when you first had it? i.e Charge initially for 12 hours (or thereabouts), use till fully discharged, then repeat this another 2 -3 times.

Also, when you performed the very first 3-4 charges on the brand new batteries, were you using the replacement power supply at that time or the old one?