Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keep losing connection

• Please log in to reply

hyeone

hyeone

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
my computer(main) keeps losing connection. i have 2 others linked on the same network, a laptop(which is rarely used) and another pc 2 floors up. when im on AIM, almost every 20 minutes or so,it loses connection then comes back. sometimes the connection just freezes too. im running a linksys wireless connection. windows xp. comcast cable modem.any ideas or suggestions? let me knwo if you need anymore info.

Edited by hyeone, 25 February 2006 - 02:17 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi hyeone,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR --> press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find a TCP/IP error, please open it by double clicking on it. Is the error message inside identical to this:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
If so, please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 100). Reboot your computer and test your connection.
Please list any other errors/warnings located in your log. *NOTE: Ignore any prompts from Windows to insert your Windows XP CD to repair files; this is normal, and is simply letting you know that you have modified a Systems file -- there is no System instability.

Do all of your computers lose connection at the same time? When you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Thanks,
Dan.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Hi hyeone,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR --> press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find a TCP/IP error, please open it by double clicking on it. Is the error message inside identical to this:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
If so, please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 100). Reboot your computer and test your connection.
Please list any other errors/warnings located in your log. *NOTE: Ignore any prompts from Windows to insert your Windows XP CD to repair files; this is normal, and is simply letting you know that you have modified a Systems file -- there is no System instability.

Do all of your computers lose connection at the same time? When you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:

• ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Thanks,
Dan.

I changed the limit to 100, which made my connection a little stronger. but the main problem i have is with my AIM instant messenger. i cant get passed the 3rd stage, starting services. it takes me right back to the log in screen. sometimes it would let me log in but then kicks me off later when my unstable connection falls through. as far as warnings/errors under my tcp/ip, i have a bunch of warnings saying the samething you said in your post...exceeding the limit.

when i run 'cmd', an error message comes up....
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
CS:0542 IP:0102 OP:c7 13 87 fa e8 CHoose Close to terminate the application.

HELP!!!

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok well i was able to sign on but my connection keeps cutting out. packets are not being sent or recieved. BUT the weird thing is, when im listening to internet radio, where packets are being sent/recieved, my connection still cuts out real quick then comes back, like a bump in the road, even though the music is still playing.

Edited by hyeone, 26 February 2006 - 02:21 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Could you please restart your computer into Safe Mode with Networking, and then try to connect to AIM; are you able to without any issues? Are you then able to chat for a certain period of time (ie: 10 minutes?) without being disconnected?

I would highly recommend that you follow all of the steps located here. These steps can clear up to 70% of all Malware from your computer; this will hopefully ensure that there is no Malware interfering with troubleshooting. Once done, you may also need to post a HJT log here.

Thanks,
Dan.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
well ive been connected fine for the past 40 minutes. i unhooked my modem and router, waited 10 minutes, then hooked it back up. i dont know why i didnt think of that before. so far so good but ill let you know if anything goes wrong.
thanks a lot dan!!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Awesome; thanks for letting us know :tazz:

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
is there a reason why my connection stops sending packets and does not have a stable, on-going connection?...also for some reason, my programs, like outlook express, have been starting up REALLY slow. im sure this is because of the delay in the connection.

Edited by hyeone, 26 February 2006 - 09:22 PM.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
anyone...

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

is there a reason why my connection stops sending packets and does not have a stable, on-going connection?...also for some reason, my programs, like outlook express, have been starting up REALLY slow. im sure this is because of the delay in the connection.

Sorry, once you said that your problem was solved, I unsubscribed from this thread.

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: ping -n 100 google.com -- Once it has completed, please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Also, please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: Tracert Google.com -- Once it has completed, please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Thanks,
Dan.

Advertisements

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
when i run 'cmd', an error message comes up....
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
CS:0542 IP:0102 OP:c7 13 87 fa e8 CHoose Close to terminate the application

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Please insert your Windows XP CD, and then goto Start --> Run, now type: sfc /scannow -- this will scan your computer; allow it to repair/replace any missing/corrupted files.

If this doesn't solve your problem, please post a HJT log here.

Thanks,
Dan.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
that will be a problem since i dont have one...i guess i have to get one from work and give it a try. this wont delete anything on my hard drive will it??

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
No, it will just fix any Windows System files. You could try running the scan now, without your CD, and see if it pops up with any errors, asking you to insert your CD. If it does, then it means you do have a corrupted file and you'll need to grab a CD from someone; if not, then just post that log, as it'll mean you won't need the CD, as you won't have any corrupted/missing files.

mrbreeze.68

mrbreeze.68

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new here, and I signed up because I found this thread. I have a question about the same warning turning up in my system log. My Norton found a virus today, and deleted it. Would this have anything to do with the warning?

Just so you know, my pc is not on any sort of network. It is the only pc in the house.

Thanks in advance.