Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming System Build No Display

• Please log in to reply

Cold Heart

Cold Heart

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello Geeks to Go.

Thanks in advanced for the help. :tazz:

Here i go ... Well i'm an impatient 16 year old who has recently undergone a project (after much money saving) to build one of the best gaming systems on the block. The computers spechs are as follows.

CPU - AMD dual core 4800 +
Motherboard - ATI Saphire Crossfire Advantage
PSU - 500 watt EMG (Came with case)
Case - XG Dragon (Black) Case
Ram - (2) OCZ 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Gold GX XTC (2x512) (O261-7040 )
Hard Drives - (4) Western Digital 250G/7200/8MB EIDE Raid WD2500SB
Graphics Cards - (2) ATI x1900 Graphics Cards (crossfire mode) in x16 Pcie Slots
Sound Card - Xtreme Fidelity Sound Blaster X-FI series Card
Monitor - Samsung 24" 242mp
Keyboard - Logitech G15 Gamer Keyboard (USB)
Mouse - Logitech Media Play Cordless Laser (USB)

I tried working the problem out using your existing tutorials and site information, however nothing i did helped. Got to the part were i took the mobo out and attached only the cpu, ram, keyboard, display card, and monitor. Here is the problem...

After much fiddling and constant playing around trying to get everything to work i booted my system and installed windows xp pro 64 bit edition. However many of my systems hardware had not had 64 bit drivers so i planned on reverting back to a 32 bit windows pro instillation. I powered down my system and figured i'd kill two birds with one stone and meantime install the new case fan cpu i had recieved (Blue Orb II), and than install the new system. While installing the fan however i did something i should have known better not to do. I accidently raised the fan and heatsink unit while the thermal grease and processor were still attached on the bottom and propt it back down on the socket. This caused the pins to bent a bit since they were not properly aligned. Only about 5 pins were bent and they were bent very slightly so i figured the problem could be fixed. After constant days perfecting the cpu pins to be bent perfectly straight i attempted the proceedure once more. and put my motherboard back into the case and reinstalled all pci cards and devices. When i attached my motherboard to the master pciex16 graphics card once again, and plugged in the power i got absolutely no display. All the hardware inside the unit was powered on and running just fine and even without a display i could repeat the process, using the keyboard that would get me into the bios. I tried mapping out all the keys i would normally press to get into bios and than f10 to save changes and restart computer. The prupose of this was to infact see if the computer was posting and narrow my issue down to one that was graphics card related. It was a successs even blind i got the computer to restart after hitting the right keys so my bios was infact working. Thus illiminating my suspisions that it was due to my broken cpu. So my question still stands .. After days of rechecking jumpers, ide's, and power connectors and bieng assured that all my devices were recieving power (including my graphics card which had the fans blowing after bieng turned on) i remained puzzled as to what could be causing the computer to not send any signal to my monitor. Can anyone help ?

Edited by Cold Heart, 26 February 2006 - 11:58 AM.

Advertisements

Cold Heart

Cold Heart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone ? Out there ? Help Really Appreciated :tazz: I have faith

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried it with a single card, if it doesnt work with either of the cards it will probably be your cpu is broken they are incredibly fragile bent pins on a cpu is often a fatal t a cpu and itll never work right sometimes you can get away with it but not always, i would RMA the cpu and get a new one.

I still dont understand how you managed to break the cpu in the first place installing a case fan.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
how much taht build cost you

Symn

Symn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah it will be your cpu just because the pins are straight again doesn't mean it didn't make damage to the chip. Either send the cpu back and try and claim it just doesn't work to get a replacement (if it is not visible damage), or buy a new cpu those are the only options. How much did that system cost you ? Very high spec stuff in there, bit of overkill as well lol. :tazz:

Symn

Cold Heart

Cold Heart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The Build Cost me somewere around 2,200.00 dollars U.S. after buying from many reliable recources.

I'd rather not believe the computer is not working due to the processor, although i'l probably end up exchanging it. Is thier anything else that could have caused this issue or a monitor which does not display. What is strange is that i'v notivable gotten the computer to boot into bios and restart even without a display. If i allow the computer to boot passed bios, and continue booting off the drive you can tell that the os has loaded as it takes noticably longer for the computer to shutdown after hitting the switch on the case. Could it be possible for a computer to enter bios and restart *using f10* if the cpu was defective? Much less could it be possible for the computer to boot into an O.S. ?

Once again is it trully the cpu ? I'f like to believe its not T_T i could attach a couple pictures of the cpu and the motherboard if you'd like.

Edited by Cold Heart, 26 February 2006 - 12:48 PM.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
ooooo reliable eh you get discounts you can hook FuM up with? =)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i wouldnt put out CPU damage it is very likely, more likely than a damaged gfx card if you bent the pins, i would try and RMA it anyway to get a new one(obviously not mentioning bent pins) to clear that up.

So does single cards work, have you tried each individually.

It is an awful lot for a computer, as an aside i dont see why you are using old model hard drives for it.

You have still to adequatley explain how you broke this in the first place, your first post doesnt make a huge amount of sense, try posting the exact circumstances but not all in what seems like a perpetual sentence, paragraphs and bullet points always nice as the better understanding of the problem the easier to get the answer.

Did you take proper ESD precautions when you installed whatever kind of fan you were doing.

Cold Heart

Cold Heart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was abit constrained on time when installing the cpu. This is what lead to everythign else. Call it human error. The funny thing is i should have known better.

When i got my new cpu heatsink and fan i simply removed the stocked hsf and as i was removing the cpu forgot about the clamp that holds the cpu into the motherboard on the socket. As i was bieng pressed on time i simply pulled the cpu out and reinstalled it with the clamp still in its full down position. This lead to the cpu not bieng securely in the socket.

I than applied thermal paste onto the cpu and put the new hsf over it. Since the cpu was never well attached into the socket it raised out of the socket because of the thermal greases adhesive traits and was attached to the hsf. Little did i now this at the time. I was beggining to screw the hsf into place as was described in the instructions when i realised i was applying direct force onto the cpu in a downwards angle while the cpu was out of place and not on the socket.

Once i realized all this it had already been to late and over 4 - 5 pins were bent.. Although they were not bent badly i guess the damage was enough ..

So this is my indepth explenation T_T. I have rebent the pins and reinstalled the cpu the proper way and once again put the hsf ontop of it. However know it will not post on screen although it goes over all the obviuse checksum and booting traits when i hit the power button. I get one very short beep out of it when i boot.. I'm assuming thats the checksum ?

As for the hardrives i do not believe that they will be the bottleneck when it comes to performance on this system. I had also had two boxes unopened laying near me at the time and thought i would just buy two more of the identical and have 4 for a decent raid setting.

Edited by Cold Heart, 26 February 2006 - 01:32 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
At the speed of that system they will be an annoyance to your loading times.

It does sound like it would be a miracle if the cpu isnt damaged in some way with what you did there, not quite sure how you managed to do it the clip is fairly obvious and it needs to be down to get teh hsf on properly. I would start by trying to RMA the cpu i wouldnt want to keep going after you did that to it.

And you still havent answered my question about your attempted gfx combos.

Cold Heart

Cold Heart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thans for all your help ... So far i gather rma the cpu ... Okay yes i will try. How about the motherboard .. could there have been damage to it ? it still beeps and if i take out the ram it gives the memory beep error code. Is this a healthy sign ?

Cold Heart

Cold Heart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
bump ... bumpdy bump bump :tazz:

sixstringartist

sixstringartist

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
That means there isnt any RAM detected.