Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ewido update connection problems

• Please log in to reply

simon harrison

simon harrison

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi All

I run XP home sp2 via a dlink 624 router and recently noticed that my ewido update couldn't connect and also that itunes wasn't bringing in song titles automatically. i upgraded to sp2 in early jan '06 and these problems may have appeared after this. i've tried opening ports and turning off the firewall but to no avail. i've read other threads but don't seem to be able to shake off the problem. otherwise all seems well internet works e mail ok. the only other recent install was a netgear sc101 networked hard drive. this seems to be in a world on its own and tends to be a bit flaky. i downloaded an ewido update from their site and ran that which gave a couple of problems which it sorted. i don't browse dodgy sites and ewido and adaware only ever report minor cookies etc. i think this must be a setting somewhere. i've attached a hjt log for good measure and hope you can help.

regards

simon harrison

HJT log removed

Edited by don77, 01 March 2006 - 06:32 AM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
please don't place hijackthis logs here, if you think you may have been reinfected please procede to the malware forum.
thanx
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
just adding to my last post, i can't really help you out besides mentioning to go back to the malware forum. However if you need to update use the following URL to get your updates manually, http://www.ewido.net...wnload/updates/
thanx
James

simon harrison

simon harrison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi James

Sorry about the hjt it was a 'in case it helped' inclusion. I've resolved the problem. It was to do with zone alarm which i had been using; then post sp2 upgrade and ms firewall i'd turned it off and taken it out of start up in msconfig. it was the hjt log that alerted me to the zone alarm service still being in the background so i turned that off and then when i tried itunes, zone alarm interrupted and said it had been messed with and i may have an infection. i turned zone alarm back on fully and everything works again and it's asking my permission for itunes and ewido to contact internet. i had given these programs permission before but i guess sp2 had upset things. anyhow i now am using zonealarm with ms firewall turned off. when i've caught up with evrything else i may see what happens if i uninstall za.

cheers

simomn

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ya you should be good, if you do end up uninstalling it be sure that ms's firewall is turned on. As you always need one firewall on or should anyways but no more then one. If you do it can causes problems between the two or more firewalls.
thanx
James