Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro issues

• Please log in to reply

compidjt

compidjt

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am a relative newbie trying to maintain four computers that are in the family.

I purchased a latitude laptop online for my daughter to take to college. She came home recently with a ton of problems, hijackers, redirectors, viruses, etc.. I assumed the routine of programs that I got from this board would cure the problems. it has not gone well.

After running all of the programs I went to run winupdate and was informed that they would not allow SP2 to be loaded due to the version or registration of the software. The certificate on the bottom is for Win 2k pro, not XP. I'm assuming that her not having sp2 or other updates may be a big part of the problem? If so, any advice on what to do at this point to help get this laptop working and secure would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to buy a new version if needed but I don't want to lose all of the other programs and docs if possible.

I have posted on the malware forum to try to at least get the system stable and clean before going forward. I hope this, or the other post, is not a waste of time.

TIA

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi compidjt!

Let's wait and see how things go with your post in the Malware Forum first before dealing with any other issues. After you are given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, we will then be able to go forward with this and get things straightened out so that you can get SP2 and other things installed and working properly again.

Please post in here once you are cleared by the Malware Expert.

For those interested in following the malware post, it can be found HERE.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 25 February 2006 - 04:22 PM.

compidjt

compidjt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Fenor,

Thanks for the quick response. I assumed there would be a logical order to trying to fix this thing.
TIA.

idjt

compidjt

compidjt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have received a response to my request for help on the malware board and it involved loading SP1 which I cannot do. I'm reposting here since that seems to be where the ultimate solution will begin.

I'm thinking that even if I manage to get rid of the malware problems I will still have a very vulnerable computer.

Any advice as to the best course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Live and Learn, next time I get the bright idea to buy a used laptop I'll be looking for the words "OEM discs and matching COA" or words to that effect!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
From who or where did you get the version of windows xp that was installed on your daughter's computer? Did you get it from a friend, was it on there when you purchased it or what? If it was on there when you purchased it, then you'll have to get in contact with the person you purchased it from and ask them where they got it from. Same applies if you got it from a friend and installed it.

Right now I am thinking that it is an illegal copy of windows, but lets confirm it. Go HERE and click on the Validate Now button. This will check whether the copy of windows installed on your daughters computer is valid or not.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 26 February 2006 - 08:11 PM.

compidjt

compidjt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Fenor,

I bought the laptop (on ebay) with the current OS already installed. I've tried to go back to the e-mails from that time but they're gone and the listing and description have expired so I don't really have any recourse.

I assumed that it would not work if it was not properly validated and installed. This certainly appears to have been a mistaken assumption.

I have ordered a copy of XP pro w/ SP2 and when it arrives will try to reload the OS and rerun the scans. Any tips on what to do , or not to do, in the reload process would be appreciated.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can receive a free copy of XP if you purchased a PC with an illegal copy pre-installed. You need to provide them with proof of purchase, and the retailer info.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I give you AAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++++++++++
Never think of that. COOL.

compidjt

compidjt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I looked into and considered that possibility. Unfortunately the only proof of purchase that I have at this point would be a credit card charge to an e-mail address.

Ebay deletes records of transactions and descriptions after 60 days so I was unable to retreive any more info on the seller or how the laptop was represented.There is no doubt that the seller advertised the system with XP pro as the OS, how it got there and by whom would be difficult to impossible to establish.

There may have been something I should have asked about or looked for prior to bidding but it's done now. It wasn't a steal but it was slightly below market pricewise so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I'm a big boy and don't have the time or the inclination to pursue this further. That's why I ordered a new version of the OS, microsoft gets its due, I get my lesson and life goes on.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Ask your credit card company about a refund

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in the future..any time you buy something from ebay...print out every page of the auction...all communications with the seller..the seller's profile page...their webpage if they have one...all reciepts from them...any confirmation of payment emails and all of that...and keep a copy of your credit card bill with t hat section highlighted with that stuff...especially if it's something as big as a computer as far as price..

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It's possible that Dell will ship you recovery CDs for free (Win2K) if you explain your situation. That would be much better than going out and buying a retail XP CD. Of course, you wouldn't be running XP but it might save you money. I would advise calling Dell to see what they say.

Edited by makai, 27 February 2006 - 11:13 AM.

compidjt

compidjt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Keith,
Were it not for the fact that I cannot prove fraud or misrepresentation I might consider trying to get a refund.
It would be a very difficult case to make given my self inflicted lack of paperwork.

Dsenette,
This is good advice and I have done this with some big(ger) ticket items. I will do it more in the future. Where were you when I hit the bid key! ;-)

Makai,
I've tried to get dell to send me copies of the original OS and they tell me that this OS is no longer available through them. I could probably whine and complain , the unit is still under complete care policy, but I'm not wanting to spend a lot of time pissing down their backs over something that was not their fault.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Where were you when I hit the bid key! ;-)

filling massive quantities of ebay paperwork in my cabinet

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

but I'm not wanting to spend a lot of time pissing down their backs over something that was not their fault.

I agree, it's not their fault, however, since your laptop is still under warranty, they are obligated to support it. I'm not sure how Dell operates but I've read that as long as your laptop is under warranty, they will supply recovery discs. You might try calling again and speaking with the line supervisor. All they should need is your service tag number. That should be on a sticker on the laptop, or possibly in the bios.