Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor Help

• Please log in to reply

richy779

richy779

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey all,

I am interested in computers and been working with it for a while. But I am not that familliar with processors type. I know the basic processor company like Intel and Amd, but like tell me the pro and cons of these type or like what it is used for or how in changed:

Pentium M -
Pentium 4
Pentium 3
Celeron

Athlon
Turion
Serburon

thanks very much

p.s. did windows vista come out yet?

i also know that pentium M is the newest version correct me if you know and is pentium going to introduce pentium 5 or other versions? I heard AMD is better then intel in gaming is that true?

thanks realllyyy much

Advertisements

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Vista didnt come out yet maybe early next year. I don't know when intel will introduce pentium5. Ams IS better than intel in mostly everything other than media encoding.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Unless you encode video as your life, AMD offers by far the better value for money and especially in games and dual core.
Athlons are currently the best in the buusiness except maybe the AMD Opterons.
Turion and Pentium Ms are for laptops because they use less power. P4s are so pricey and use so much wattage.

An AMD Athlon 3700+ or 4000+ will see your everyneeds but if you like the dual core world, get a 3800+ for buget and 4400+ for medium stuff. or look at Opterons, the 165 or 170 are good

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Vista comes out this summer, intel have ditched the pentium brand in favour of new names the dual core is duo single core solo and they are going to go with these names for a while, but pentium at the moment is gone in new chips.

ash1989

ash1989

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I think pentium have released 'Pentium X' or something like that, it might have been 'xeon' or something. i cant remember. Not much to know about processors really (speeds) all i can say is you dont want to be going for anything less than a top end pentium 3 (about 1ghz). if your a gamer then pentium 4, or a good celeron will do. serious gamers will probably go for something faster though. i dont know about AMD processors as ive only ever used intel. it doesnt really bother me as long as i can play my games and my comp runs ok :tazz:

richy779

richy779

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
okay so i understand that amd is better then intel in games.. what is dual core or any cores? and 64 or 34 bit?? i don't really understand it..

thnx for everything though

:) :tazz:

richy779

richy779

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
hey again.. just wanted to add is celeron bad?? because dell is coming out with low priced celeron based computers.... yea just reply if u can

:tazz:

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
well, 32 bit is old now and 64bit will look to stay, it's just the smallest amount of data able to be processed(i think bit rusty). Dual core is for media and to take the load off you're other core so you could run two games at once or any high CPU task program in 2 with out ver feeling lag. CPUs never come into gamers life until at low resolutions any thing above 1024x768 is all on the gfx card so you could get the 3000+ and pair it with two X1900XTX in crossfire and have almost the same results as the CPU being a 4800+ dual core(some differences especially should it be a geometry intensive game like FEAR where CPU plays more. warriorscot games with a 3200+ and i doubt he will feel more lag than a guy with the same gfx card but a higher CPU

ash1989

ash1989

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
to be honest, i dont know if amd are better than intel for games. I have a Pentium 4 dual core running at 3.2ghz and it runs my games real sweet (i have a gig of ram too though) If amd are better than intel could someone explain why because id like to know. just curious :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are better, they have a far far superior memeory controller on the chip which helps with games as they are big memory users they are also faster on non threaded apps like games, they are just better really in most ways.

Advertisements

richy779

richy779

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
yea and i have a zd8000 laptop intel pentium 4 ati graphics radeon 500 256mb 512 ram 2.8 ghz processor is that good enough for games like Half Life 2? Why are some people not really looking at the processor speed in a laptop i see new laptops comin out wif 1.6 max why?? most ppl interested in only ram and harddisk thnx again
:tazz: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Because they use larger caches as a higher clock speed requires more power and outputs greater heat so they use different methods to make the chips faster.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
well practically everyone who i know who hasn't read a single PC article will ask when comparing PCs, how many GHz? I annoys me soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. How many Gb ram, how many Mb or RAM in your gfx card, how many ins is you monitor. all they care for is the speed. they don't understand hypertransport by AMD, CAS latency and what brand of RAM, that core clock and memory speeds are more important in gfx cards and response time for monitors. all they care about is the bigger the number, the better, even when they buy a 3.8GHz P4 680 and find it outgunned by the price equivalent 2.2 GHz dual core Athlon 4400+.

but enough rambling on, the Pentium M is actually THE best chip when it comes to preformance per watt ratio. if they had a clock speed to rival AMD Athlons, P Ms would whop them up. it's rather interesting because the new Intel Duos are almost the same as two P Ms in one die with a bigger cache but the Intel Duo out guns the 3.2GHz Pentium Ds dual cores even though the Duos have a much lower clock speed.

So there, i don't know how many times i've said this and how many times i will in future but, RAW speed or a bigger number doesnt mean it's better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ash1989

ash1989

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
if a processor has got a high amount of GHz, high ram and a good craphics card then im pleased, and im sure a lot of other people are too. Most people dont want the fastest thing on the planet, they just want something that will run games and applications pretty nicely. I have a P4 HT 3.2ghz, 1gig ram and a 256 ati 9550, and im happy with it. my games run sweet and video editing isnt a problem either. i havent read a single computer artilce, and have no idea what hypertransport is, so would you be able to explain why its soooooo much better.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
well then you're losing money, everyone knows Intel CPUs cost much more and aren't as good so yer, you may be fine but you would've paid more than you needed to but i'm not complaining about it really, it's your money going down the drain