Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A8N Sli Premium BIOS

• Please log in to reply

This Guy

This Guy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey y'all,

I wanted to do a clean install on my PC today but something went wrong. Prior to that, I went on Asus web site to get the information on how to install the Asus cool n' quiet driver, supposed to keep my CPU low in heat.

To do that, I had to get some settings fixed in my BIOS. The thing is that I couldn't access this motha*****.

When my PC boots, the screen with the Asus logo indicates that I should press DEL to enter setup. When I do so, my pc freezes and never boots from the HD. I have to cut the power for a few minutes before I can boot from the HD.

Any Ideas?

XP PRO SP2
A8N-Sli Premium
Athlon 3200+
Kingston 1 Gb

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi This Guy! Welcome to G2G!

Lets have you try resetting the computer's BIOS. Please do the following:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST 5 minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or the DEL key to enter SETUP. (Delete key in your case). Do so, and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- If you are using a USB keyboard, you will not be able to access the BIOS if USB Keyboard support is not enabled in the BIOS. You will need to plug in a normal PS/2 keyboard and enter the BIOS and change the setting for this to be able to use a usb keyboard for entering SETUP.

Edited by Fenor, 26 February 2006 - 10:36 AM.

This Guy

This Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey, sorry for my slow reply.

It worked man! I could access my BIOS settings and proceed to the modification of the parameter.
One last question: If I want to do a clean install (wipe my entire HD & delete partitions), wil I have to change the settings of my BIOS again when I'll reinstall Windows? I am pretty sure that reformating the HD and wiping the totality of its content doesn't affect my BIOS settings at all. Just wanna make sure.

Thanx :tazz: