Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet providers

• Please log in to reply

mk1james

mk1james

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
I do not go on the internet that much and i wanted to upgrade to broadband but i not know much about the internet and things like that. I wanted to know who is cheapest so i can have a look at them and see if there any good, or you could tell me if there any good. And if there is a why there so cheap could you tell me.

Advertisements

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Where is your location?
United States? UK? where?

In US, you can check Verizon or AT&T.
See if you qualify first for DSL / Broadband.
I think they offer 14.99..

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
I am in the UK (england)

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I know I'm going to annoy a lot of people by saying this but a lot of british adsl providers impose download limits on their customers unless you pay a certain amount of money, therefore I have often resorted to using aol because they have limitless broadband for as cheap as £14.99 a month. It's fine and they have good service, just don't install their software or you'll be finding references to it on your pc for months even after you uninstall from the control panel.

http://www.aol.co.uk...romoCode=228937

I've looked at tiscali and other services and they're really not as good. Perhaps you're better off going with cable in the uk, you can see if your area is covered by blueyonder or NTL. they're fine.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AOL has other problems apart from there software you rarely get the rated speed and if you try and play online fps games youll rue the day you went with aol as no matter what speed you get youll always have a terrible latency on the server, dont know why but its true.

Also broadband limits are imposed to help ensure everyone gets a fair deal but no isp has a prohibitivley low limit, BT always had the lowest limit and i download alot and there can be three people at a time using the net everyday in my house ive not once even came close to going over the download limit and if all you do is browse even if you were on it permanently you would never hit it and it doesnt stop your internet it just cuts the speed down to usually 120 to 256Kbps still useable. There are very few people that need unlimited and if you pay the extra its fine, also we have cheaper internet in the uk than im most countries because we use limits, it has its disadvantages but me ild rather have the limit and pay less.

(and as an example ive filled my hard drive 3 times in 6 months and the other computer has been filled 4 times but it has only a 80 gig drive and never hit a download limit once)

Cheapest is usually BT just dont use the router they give you they offer different packages so you can get a cheap 9.99 one if you just browse the net which is pretty cheap and they have faster for downloaders with a big download limit if you need it.

NTL usually offer the fastest internet there standard package is going to 10Mpbs but they arent always the cheapest around. Tiscali is cheap but they often get complaints for poor service from what ive heard, if you live in a city or large town you might be able to get bulldog its the fastest provider with no limits but its not available everywhere although its range of available areas has increased in recent years. Cable is still a relativley unpopular in the uk because of the high availabilty of cheap dsl and cable can have DL limits as well and not everyone wants new lines dug through there garden and holes drilled through there walls, even if you had cable before they may need to re lay cabling as it may not be up to the correct specification for internet if you only had television before, and of course you usually have to switch entirely to telewest and they have there downsides as well.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
no, internet isn't cheaper in the UK. I was in america and my parents are still there, they're getting sbc yahoo dsl and its better value than what I was paying with aol and there's no limits whatsoever. I think the trade-off is fair. Also, here I'm at university and I have to pay a fee to get online, while in america it was free for me to get online. I seemed to also have more problems with internet here than I did in america. The school network is always down and aol's modem kept breaking on me. I don't play online games so I wouldn't know or care about the latency issues.

I looked at BT but I didn't really like their download limits. I do download a lot and I don't like being hit with hidden charges if I go over a certain limit.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They dont charge you for going over the limit with BT and ive yet to go over my 40Gb limit in a month.

Also its all relative, its cheaper for your average brit than it is for your average american in terms of how much they earn and cost of living, and it depends very much on what package you get, we also have an older phone system and drastically higher population density than the US putting much more stress on our telephone system which is why we have download limits if a quarter of the US population had to all move to florida then they would have dl limits, when you compare the circumstances with not only the us but other countried we dont pay alot at all for dsl and many people will get it free under government schemes to improve internet access.

Also you must go to a pretty stingy uni, i know mine not only doesnt charge but they give you in excess of 40Mbps bandwidth in most cases. And your schools network isnt anything to do with their ISP but poor network planning by them, but having such large networks as are used in universities these days is a difficult thing to have as network traffic is almost always maxed out as many unis now use networking software that allows the sharing of computing power for research purposes, this puts alot of stress and if the network doesnt get the right investment as alot of unis dont get then thats why you have problems, you should take it up with your union representative to see what action you can take towards sorting that, in most unis the student representative body is very powerful and can influence where funding goes im many cases.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

no, internet isn't cheaper in the UK. I was in america and my parents are still there, they're getting sbc yahoo dsl and its better value than what I was paying with aol and there's no limits whatsoever. I think the trade-off is fair. Also, here I'm at university and I have to pay a fee to get online, while in america it was free for me to get online. I seemed to also have more problems with internet here than I did in america.

Well all I can say is if you don't like what you see on this side of the pond, go back to America.

Anyway the American market in many areas, not just getting online, is very vastly different to how it is over here. There's far more competition and at a more local level over there than you'll ever see here. just because you can get it for free or cheaper across the pond doesn't mean you'll get the same privileges here.

Uni wise, that's a campus policy and not always the case nationwide.

I looked at BT but I didn't really like their download limits. I do download a lot and I don't like being hit with hidden charges if I go over a certain limit.

So don't go with BT then. There's hundreds of providers, but you'll still need a BT line for most of them.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
I have seen bulldog and i wanted to no if there any good they have the right price range and that, do they have many problems?