Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format - Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Hi, we have a computer that is running Windows XP that is so completely infested with malware, the only real option is just to format the HDD.

I have a couple questions first.

How do I go about formating a drive on XP? I've only done it on 98.

Secondly, re-installing Windows. The computer was bought from Compaq, so I don't have the original XP discs and everything as it came already installed. I do however, have a legal OEM version of XP that I bought when I built my computer. Could I just use that? Or is it only allowed on one PC? Do I have to buy a new XP OS?

Thanks.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Hi there,

If malware issues are whats making you decide to format, see if the folks at the malware forum can help you. Reformatting should only be a last resort.

If, however, you are set on formatting, Compaq and other companies that don't include the Windows Disc often allow you to make recovery disks, do you have those?

If you don't you should be perfectly fine to use your OEM copy on this computer, you legally own the copy of Windows.

For a reformatting tutorial, search google, there are hundreds of them on the web. Here is one:
http://www.resnet.un...reformatxp.html

- Matt

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

If you don't you should be perfectly fine to use your OEM copy on this computer, you legally own the copy of Windows.

Howdy..

Just to clarify Matt's statement here.. Microsoft's EULA only allows the same XP cd and key code to be activated on ONE system at a time..

If you are already using this OEM version on the system you built then NO, you can put it on another system but it will cease to work after 30 days as you will not be able to activate it...

Murray

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Right, thanks for clarifying, I thought he bought it for use on that computer :tazz: