Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VB.net VS visual studios 2005

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
beginning of last year my unikversity gave all of us (students) a copy of vb.net, to use for whatever purposes we wished, all the university computers have installed visual studios.net, the major differance being our versions only allow us to program in visual basic, but the universities computers allow us to use C, C#, etc.

unfortunately i cant get my hands on a copy of vs.net,

a friend of mine has a copy of visual studios 2005 hes giving me, which has all the languages, but i have not yet tested it out so im not sure what the major differences are between 2005 and .net,

a few years ago, back in highschool, i got used to vb6, then when we started using .net it seemed weird, almost alien to me, i am worried that now that im finally used to .net ill have to readjust myself to using 2005,

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi BTPH,
Don't worry upgrading to vb2005 is'nt a big leap as compared to the previous upgrade from vb6 to vb.net 2002/2003; because the applications still run on the .NET framework, but on a different version of it i.e .NET 2.0. In fact I feel vb2005 should be renamed to vb.net 2005 to avoid confusion.
All you need to do is study some of the new features of .NET 2.0 and then check out the language specific changes to vb2005, on the following page:
http://msdn.microsof...05_overview.asp

Also, M$ is offering a Express version(trimmed-down version) of vb2005 completely free, you can download it from:
http://msdn.microsof...dio/express/vb/