Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

info needed

• Please log in to reply

dragonfire

dragonfire

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
i have a problem that i cant seem to work out what it is
as follows:when i reboot my pc sometimes it comes on ,with icons and everything showing as if it is normal other times it just stays a blue screen with the word windows on it ,then i turn pc off all together and it comes up as if nothing as happend ,but wait there is more sometimes it comes up with just my screen saver and no icons etc ,but presto when i turn the whole lot off it comes back ok slowly pulling my hair out as to what to do ,hope some ppl have answers to my questions
regards wayne
xpsp2 home
avg free
spysweeper
ad-aware
spybot
windows defender
have done scans with all these and they say pc is clean

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

dragonfire

dragonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i dont have a copy of xp cd ,is there anything else i can do
thanx

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, (if you downloaded SP2 you need XP SP1 CD)

Run through this

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If that does not improve things then you will need an XP CD to replace missing files

dragonfire

dragonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanx for fast reply have done what u suggested but has not fixed prob ,was told it sounds like something running in back ground and it is just taking its time to connect dont know enough of pc to know what i am looking for so pc tech might have to check it out for me
also tuneup 2006 is a great programm it has done wonders for my pc
once again thanx

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get what's running from my signature, click the start up tab and remove any ticks for all the programmes you do not need, basically everything except the firewall and anti virus / antispyware programmes.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot and see how things are

You can do this with Tune Up start up manager as well

The programmes will still be there, but will just take a bit longer to start when you want them

dragonfire

dragonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
keith once again thanx for your input regarding my pc it is much appreciated
i think i have solved my problem ,i just deleted sygate firewall and now all seems to be working fine ,with sp2 firewall
regards
wayne
p.s great program that tune up ,now if i can afford to by it i will do so

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It may have been because both firewalls were running

Zone Alarm turns the SP2 firewall off

http://www.filehippo...zonealarm_free/

SP2 firewall only blocks incoming data