Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Final Fantasy installation error

• Please log in to reply

Sakurafire

Sakurafire

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello! This is my first post here, though I've used the forums a few times before.

I'm an avid player of the MMORPG game, Final Fantasy XI Online. I've this game installed on two other computers and a PS2. Not too long ago I bought a laptop (the specs are posted on my profile), it was second hand and in very good condition. I just figured I could use this laptop to play FFXI on. Well, there seems to be a problem with the actual installation. This problem has been addressed before, but in all of the other posts I noticed that the person who had the problem really didn't reply back with "Hey! It's all fixed!"

When trying to install the 1st disc for FFXI I get this error message:
"Error 1335. The cabinet file Data1.cab required for this installation is corrupted and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD - ROM, or a problem with this package."

In previous topics I've seen such solutions as 'reboot in safe mode,' 'turn off applications,' 'disable internet/network access,' and my favorite, which I just did a few minutes ago to no avail: 'copy the files from the CD-ROM to the hard drive and try to install from there.' Interestingly enough, nothing worked; which doesn't surprise me because in none of these forum topics did I hear that they did. (The only one who said that it worked afterwards was that they bought a new CD-ROM drive.) And just for clarification I have installed games like Starcraft, Warcraft II, Diablo II, World of Warcraft, and the such. Note that none of these games actually utilize Windows Installer. One other game which I had this problem with was a PC game called Sacred, which used Windows Installer and had the same problem...

However I didn't see anybody post this. Occassionally I get more error messages (of which I know nothing about, even after trying to search on Microsoft's website). These don't happen everytime, but usually if I reboot then try installing again.

"2350 Internal Error"

and last but not the least of my problems...
"Feature Error Transfer
Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation
Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information"

Consulting Windows Installer Help did nothing but create more headaches. They just kept insisting that my Windows Installer wasn't up to date. (Even made me download a version that was supposively up-to-date and my installed version was higher.) Contacting SquareEnix (makers of FFXI) did me no good as well. They thought I had a bad disk, which was impossible because my disks worked no more than a week ago on my brother's computer.

Now I know everyone has seen this problem posted before and I apologize for bothering you once again for the solution. I want to, once and for all, get to the heart of it and hopefully fix this problem. The only problem is I'm not too savvy with the technical portion of computers - especially laptops. So if there is any possible way you could help, please post and I'll be willing to try it out. I'm going to do my best to keep in touch with my progress as well. If you need any more information, please reply back to me and I'll do my best to update this topic. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
lets start by coping the cd to the hdd and running the install the hdd.

now the 1603 is a fairly large error to get. meaning it has lots of reasons. we would need to see if you are having any other issues. also there should be an event in the event log corresponding with the error.

Sakurafire

Sakurafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

lets start by coping the cd to the hdd and running the install the hdd.

now the 1603 is a fairly large error to get. meaning it has lots of reasons. we would need to see if you are having any other issues. also there should be an event in the event log corresponding with the error.

Hmm... Actually that message (or the ones in my original post) were the same even after I copied it from the CD to the HDD. However I will try again once I get home from work. (Just wanted you to know that I wasn't ignoring any subsequent posts! Just work a lot. >_>)

I'll let you know and post again around 5:00EST today with the updated info and the event log.

Sakurafire

Sakurafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
First off I would like to apologize for my late reply. I said I was going to do this a few days ago but work came up and my free time was screwed until today.

Well, I just recopied FFXI disc 1 onto my computer and tried installing it from there. I closed down all of my other applications with the exception of my Webroot SpySweeper program. Unfortunately this is the message I recieved, copied from the Event Viewer: Applications.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11335
Date: 3/3/2006
Time: 11:11:05 AM
Description:
Product: FINAL FANTASY XI -- Error 1335.The cabinet file 'Data1.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.
Data:
0000: 3837367b 37343646 32442d35 342d3732
0010: 2d413233 46463439 3630382d 41383731
0020: 32353433 7d30

And of course, like anything else the Window's help center was no bloody help whatsoever. I didn't get the Internal Error or the 1603 error this time. (And by the way, I am using a completely new set of FFXI discs.)

Any thoughts on how I correct this problem would be much appreciated. ^_~

Sakurafire

Sakurafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hmmm... Sorry for posting again so soon but I just now found this:
"Final Fantasy XI disc 2 problem"

Hazzaar! Hazzaar! they say its darkest before light, not only did i get no help from G2G but i could not find any answers online, until i read a very interesting post i found, some one had problems with their data1.cab and did they same things i did, what was their solution? get another data1.cab, no need for buy all new set or trading hardware, just borrow a CD from your friend or get a dl from a stranger, well i did a mix of the two, dl data.cab from my sis and replace on Hard drive with other but Hazzaar!

Okay... Other than all the 'hazzaars' everywhere I'm not entirely sure if this will solve my problem. His post was confusing, hence his username, Confusekid. Well... If this indeed would help, how can I find another dat1.cab? I currently own two sets of FFXI for the PC and both have given me problems, so I don't know if 'borrowing a CD' would help any. And how could I download a dat1.cab from a stranger?

I'll have to say that if someone wants to help out, please do it in a way that people could understand.

And I forgot to mention earlier that when I get the errors it's between 12%-18% on each installation. This is while trying to install with both the CDs and after I copied it to my harddrive.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
http://www.geekstogo...sles-t9116.html

you can download memtest to see if there is a memory problem.

do you know someone else who is playing this game? you may have to take the installed version of the data1cab and copy it to your system. The other problem could be your cd rom not reading correctly or it may have an issue with copy protection.

Sakurafire

Sakurafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Actually I have this game on my other computers as well. Where do I copy the dat1.cab file into? The folder that I uploaded from the CD to the harddrive? (Sorry... i'm not really savvy with these kinda things...)

UPDATE:
I finished about 4 hours of that memtest without a problem. I wonder what else it could be...

Edited by Sakurafire, 04 March 2006 - 12:00 PM.