Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Core AMDs

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
A lot of people say that Opterons are better than Athlon X2s when it comes to gaming and stuff. Why is that, is the structure differnent, is it capable of high OC, less power. the Opterons i'm talkin about is the Skt 939 dual cores. they don't have the usually names like 3700+ or 3200+, instead they have like 165 or 280 or stuff. so what would the equivalent of the Athlon X2s and to the dual core Skt 939 Opterons
3800+
4200+
4400+
4600+
4800+

what are the Opterons which are inline with them and why do people recommend opterons?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Because they use the same core as the 4400+ but are much much cheaper and are easy to overclock, its not that they are better its because they are cheaper.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
so is the Opteron 170 better than a 4400+ X2 because the 170 is clocked 200MHz slower, also, what about the 165 which is 1.8GHz, is that better than a 4400+. and finally, is the CPU multiplier unlocked with the Opterons like the FX series or would you just have to up the FSB?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 4400+ has the same core so no they arent as fast obviously, easiest way to find out is go and read about them youll learn more than asking me a millin questions i dont have the time to answer properly.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
ok, sure. one thing which puzzles me is the thing that intels chips cost the earth and AMDs don't.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
hasn't it always been that way? :tazz:

I remember when I built my machine about 3 or 4 years ago, the Athlon XPs had comparable performance to the P4s and were considerably more affordable. I dunno, I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it. :)

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

hasn't it always been that way? :tazz:

I remember when I built my machine about 3 or 4 years ago, the Athlon XPs had comparable performance to the P4s and were considerably more affordable. I dunno, I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it. :)

yer, i just wonder why though, does intel love money or is AMD selling at a low profit?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Bit of both, but AMD are more advanced in terms of memory controller and efficeincy meaning they can get away with the lower clock speeds which make for cheaper chips and cooler chips. They do make less money, but there pricing system is also fairer, Intel Also give out huge subsidies and low prices to builders to stop them making the rather obvious switch to AMD for home pcs.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Intel have a special deal with Dell at least, which explains why you see offers on the telly for machines that cost virtually next to nothing and all have Pentium 4 processors in them. You'll be very hard pushed to find aP4 processor on its own for the cost of an entire Dell system.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its one of the reasons AMD are suing intel as it goes against several laws, as they basically sell P4s at a loss to dell in many cases when you factor the huge subsidy they pay dell.

Edited by warriorscot, 28 February 2006 - 06:25 PM.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
yer, i read that about the sue, i wonder how it's going, AMD seem to have some good evidence. Intel used to have no comp but now AMD is striking back lol. I wonder what AMDs new CPUs for desktops will be? And one thing, because Opterons use the same core as the 4400+ then won't the 4400+ be better than the 165 or 170 because the Opterons have a lower clockspeed or will there only be a small decrease because the 2.2GHz Opteron dual cores cost far more

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The opteron chips have more silicon and they are alittle cooler running.

Best bang for the buck, and can overclock like you cant believe if you have the knowledge.

Edited by jrm20, 28 February 2006 - 11:35 PM.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
through the FSB or CPU multiplier, because with the FSB, you need good RAM as well but with the multiplier, you can go waste up. what links do you recommend that teach good OCing?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
does the Opteron OC via the FSB or multiplier?