Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with IBM Travelstar 120 GB and XP

• Please log in to reply

bartnoel

bartnoel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

I cannot find a 120gb travelstar external drive on the hitachi products page (hitachi bought ibm's drive business)

are you sure that is it? what is the model number

I'm guessing from its size that the drive is usb2 compatible--are both machines usb 2--or is this a firewire drive?

Are they both Windows xp? Do both machines have the latest firewire drivers if the above is a firewire (usb is bult in to win xp)

Honestly, I cannot think of any reason why adding a usb drive would

Advertisements

bartnoel

bartnoel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
No, the Travelstar drive does not have a seperate power supply. It's a big memory stick really. The 4 USB ports come in pairs of two I believe?(on my com's case there are two up next to eachother and two down next to eachother on the back). And hence it is logical that two together don't work?

I can disconnect all USB devices now connected to the USB ports, but I basically already did that previously while testing the Travelstar drive. And windows does easily connect and recognise the devices again (a hub with phone, camera, a mouse etc, etc).

Ok, so should just use this port only and that's it, all should be well right?

B