Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows User Login

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
hi,

How do you remove the windows user login @ startup without loosing all my programs on desktop etc?

Andrew

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi andrewsexton!

Click START-->CONTROL PANEL. In the new window that appears, double-click on the USER ACCOUNTS icon to open the user accounts screen. Then click on the item Change the way users log on or off. Make sure both Use the Welcome Screen and Use Fast User Switching are both checked. Then click APPLY OPTIONS.

Of course this will only work if you only have one account on your computer. If you have more then one account then you will still have to at least click the name of the user who's account you wish you log into when window starts.

If the above doesn't work and you only one one user account, then it's most likely that you have the .NET Framework v1.1 installed. You need to go to Windows Update and get the Serivce Pack for the .NET Framwork v1.1 (It would also be a good idea to get all other critical updates while you are there as well if there are any). After you reboot your computer, you should no longer have to login, Windows should go directly to the desktop.

If you still have to logon even after doing all the above steps, then you probably don't have the XP theme installed. Right click on the desktop and select PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears make sure you are on the THEMES tab and from the THEME pull-down menu make sure Window XP is slected and click APPLY and OK. Only things you will have to change back after doing this is your background will default back to Windows XP Theme background and the screensaver will turn itself back on. These you can change in the same winow that you went to to change the XP theme, using the DESKTOP tab to change the background, and the SCREENSAVER tab to change/disable the screensaver.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 26 February 2006 - 05:14 AM.

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi

How do I get Windows to startup normally without any logon page?

Andrew

Edited by andrewsexton, 26 February 2006 - 05:07 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I just told you how to do that. Read and do what I have posted before asking the same question AGAIN.

Fenor

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I did all that and even installed .net service pack 1 and i still get the login page. Any ideas?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What is the color of your task bar? is it Silver/White colored?

Fenor

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi,

Yes it is.

Andrew

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then you are using the Windows Classic Theme instead of the Windows XP theme, which in that case you cannot use the welcome screen. One question, do yo have a password for your account when you login?

Fenor

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi,

No I dont ive deleted it. See screenshot attached im on the windows xp theme. I just want windows to boot up normally with out having to use any username or password.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• win.JPG

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just because it says you are using the XP Theme doesn't necessarily mean you are. Let's fix the XP Theme and see what happens.

Please download the Resources.zip file. Extract the files to C:\Windows directory. Make sure that the destination is set to C:\Windows. Once they are extracted, reboot your computer and once rebooted try to change the theme back to Windows XP.

You change the theme back to Windows XP theme by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting PROPERTIES. In the DISPLAY PROPERTIES window, make sure you are on the THEMES tab and then select WINDOWS XP from the pull-down list under the THEME heading. Click APPLY and then OK and you should have the Windows XP Theme back.

After doing this, go back into User accounts and make sure the welcome screen and fast user switching checkboxes are checked. Also make sure you only have one account on the computer and that the Guest account is OFF.

Fenor

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
All completed still no luck.

Andrew

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then nothing else you can try, a program has obviously corrupted something or you haven't done everything as asked. Either way there isn't anything more that can be done.

I see from your other topics that you have had nothing but problems with yoru computer for a very long time. Probably is best to just reformat the computer and start over from scratch.

But I would recommend first that you go to the Malware Forum and make sure you don't have any nasties still on your computer. I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 26 February 2006 - 11:00 AM.