Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Xp with SP2

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I'm thinking about getting "windows xp with service pack 2" which is the upgrade for my "windows 98 second edition". I know I will be doing a lot of reformating and wiping off my system. I heard that if you get "windows xp sp2 upgrade for win98 se" you only have a certain amount of times that you can activate your o/s with the activation key provided by microsoft over the phone or internet. Now my question is does anyone know how many times i can activate "windows xp sp2 upgrade from win98 se"?

I need to know because I reformat my system a lot. Please let me know or else i will not buy it. Oh and yah I've tried to ask microsoft but have not recieved an answer in a month. please let me know. if anyone knows tell me. supposedly its in the box with the cd, or the book for it in the box.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Getting an OEM XP CD will be the better way to go because faults can carry over with upgrades. All versions of XP have a limited number of re-installs before you need to contact Microsoft, this happens during activation, it won't activate automatically, it will show a box with numbers you need to enter, then it will say it was not possible to verify the product code, call this number, you call it and they will activate it for you on the same PC any number of times

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you for answeing part of my question.... But what I wanted to know is how many times can you re-install win xp with the "winXP ugrade from win98SE" disc. I have been told u can only re-install it a number of times before you have to buy it again. That was my question. Do you or does anyone know? I've been trying to find this out for months, and I'm not about to pay $100 for the software to find out what it says on the inside of the box.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
they will activate it for you on the same PC any number of times

They do not limit the number of times you can activate the same software on the same PC, even with significant changes to the hardware, the only limit is the number of times it will automatically activate

redwave250443

redwave250443

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Oh, I suggest you purchase the completely edition of Windows XP SP2 for be more convenient during use. If you need to reformat the whole disk and reinstall OS, all oof those update will not be useful one day. This would depress you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also..if you're in the habit of reformatting on a regular basis...and you do go with the upgrade version...make sure you keep your 98 disk...as the xp upgrade disk will ask you for it every time you format and reinstall

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank everyone but no ones really answered my question yet. I understand i need to keep my win 98 disc etc. What i want to know is how many times can i re-install the o/s using a "WINDOWS XP WITH SERVICE PACK 2 DISC" which is an upgrade disc only if you have win98SE on your pc. You cannot re-install xp forever with that disc. i need to know how many times you can before i dish out soo much money to buy it. Thus prolonging the 3+ months i been waiting to hear the answer from anyone.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as many times as you want...you can reinstall xp as many times as you like....the ACTIVATION (as everyone h as said) is the only thing with a limited use..and even then...as long as you're reinstalling on the same computer...you will just have to call microsoft for the activation code after 3 activations... that's what everyone here has said so far