Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new PC

• Please log in to reply

millertime214

millertime214

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi everybody,
I'm building my first PC soon & I wanted to run my parts list by some people who will know more about it than myself. I'd really like to know what you all think of it. Thanks for your help!

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
ASPIRE X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-BL Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Western Digital Caviar SE WD400JD 40GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000BNBOX
eVGA 256-TC-2N25 Geforce 6200TC Supporting 512MB (Onboard 256MB 64-bit DDR) GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card
ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, CE
LINKSYS WUSB54GS USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter with SpeedBooster
NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A
POWERCOLOR Heat Buster HB-SC70 PCI Cooling Fan

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks allright wouldnt get an asus mobo they have a high rate of failure or malfunction, what the 40gb drive for you dont need another small slow drive for anything . If the pc is for gaming you seriously need something better for the gfx card. And memory you may find corsair slightly cheaper and its higher quality, also what is the pci cooling fan for, there primary use is for people who have a little to hot running gfx card but dont feel up to fitting a new hsf.

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, a few questions/comments then...

1. What motherboard would you recommend? I haven't found any mobos that have SATA II capability without being an SLI board, but if you guys know of any I would be interested in those.
2. The 40gb drive is going to be the main Windows drive, the larger drive will be for storage of other programs/games.
3. I've been playing for years with onboard graphics. That card will be a godsend, trust me :tazz:
4. I can definitely get rid of the extra fan. I suppose that I won't need it right away, especially with a brand new machine.

Again, thanks for all of your help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Chuck the 40 you dont want a slower drive for your system its the opposite you want as fast as you can get for the system and either the same speed or slower for storage and small drives arent economically sound as the larger the capacity the cheaper per GB(this works until about 300Gb then prices per GB go back up again).

All of the Nf4s have sata 2, mine does i havent seen one without it in a while using the nf4 chipset which is the one you want.

If you are hoping to game with that system though the card is really really dragging it down when it comes to games and 3d apps then the pc is only as fast as its slowest component.

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Alrighty then, I can get rid of the 40gb drive. That will give me some extra $$$ to put into a different graphics card. I'll look into some other ones. :tazz:

My main concern right now is what mobo should I get? I haven't really looked at anything besides ASUS, but it seems that I should now. Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be appreciated. What brand or series should I be looking for? :) :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Since you seem fairly new at this stuff, i would go with MSI(utterly idiot proof, high performance and quality) or Gigabyte(cheap, simple with good build quality).

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, here is the mobo I think I'm gonna go with. Please let me know what you think...

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

Mobo link