Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashing/Not turning on problem!

• Please log in to reply

Artimecion

Artimecion

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey all. Im having a big frustrating massive annoying (etc) problem!
I've had my PC since September, and it has all been working fine up until now.
However, whenever I play games (UT and Darwinia are the only two I currently have installed) the pc monitor blacks out with the monitors power button flashing, there is an audible powering down click in the PC itself as if I'd just turned it off, but the power light stays on and the HDD light stays continuously on.
When this happens, i have to hold the power button in until the PC switches off.
BUT it also does the same thing when I turn on the pc after this happens - sometimes with a very worrying electrical buzz sound accompanying it.
When the pc does turn on, and im only typing or browsing the net, it is fine - although I have had it do the same when I ran a virus scan too.
I've never encountered such a problem with my pc ever, and I built this one up from scratch. I have also checked that everything is in order inside the PC and added a new fan just in case it was overheating.
Are there any suggestions?

Pc Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4Ghz
Via K8M800 MoBo
1536MB RAM
NVidia Geforce 6600 256MB AGP
Creative Audigy 4 soundcard
200gb Sata Hdd

Edited by Artimecion, 26 February 2006 - 09:53 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check for updated video adapter drivers

Artimecion

Artimecion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm on the latest Geforce Drivers (81.98) if that is what you mean?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is, so the next thing is temperature

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor

Give it a minute to show the temperatures then post them in

Artimecion

Artimecion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok I also just updated my motherboard drivers using the VIA hyperion site.
When it restarted, the pc did the same thing again: I forgot to mention also that the DVD light comes on as if its checking, and goes off and the three lock lights on the keyboard flash on and off too, like normal.

Everest results:
Sensor Type: National LM78
Temperatures: Maxtor 6Y200PO 34C (95F)
Voltages: CPU Core: 0.03v
CPU AUX: 0.43V
+3.3V: 0.24V
+12V : 0.91V

Thats all thats on there.
Using the AMD dashboard, it says my CPU temp is 30C

I recently enabled cool n quiet on the pc to see if that would help, but it didnt really do anything at all in regards to the problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Up to Tune Up will check the system files and integrity of the drive, Tune Up is optional, repair is next, beyond that it is likely to be hardware, which can be loose wires, loose components but we can look at that later

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should and you can check for any improvement

This section is optional

Download and install
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

If you are unable to run XP Repair

Alternate XP Repair

Use the last one, Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Artimecion

Artimecion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok going through this now. Just so you know, the tuneup 2006 trial does not work with windows x64, and so i cant do the scans for that.
I think it could be more of a hardware problem thuogh if my pc just wont turn on at all, but this stuff will really help speed up my pc and clean it by the looks! Ill let you know in a few hours when i've done it all! Thanks for this keith ^_^

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know about Tune Up, another option is CCleaner

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

Run the cleaner then press scan for issues, press fix selected issues, take the option to make a back up, create a folder for this, then you can locate it if you need it, which is unlikley but make sure you do back up the registry, re-run the scan until no issues show

Artimecion

Artimecion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok, done everything but the chkdisk and re-install, which i shall try shortly.
The Pc is still spazzing up though, but loading reaal quick when it decides to turn on!
Sorry i also forgot to mention that at the same time as these problems started, the PC wont restart properly if i use the restart option to turn windows off. Windows finishes and everything, but as the pc goes to reset it hangs like I mentioned again....

Artimecion

Artimecion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok all that is done. PC loading speed is excellent now. (chkdisk found one error with an msn messenger sector, but fixed it) BUT the main problem is still there.
Im currently sat with the pc open by me, with just the monitor, keyboard, mouse and LAN cable in - its taken about 20mins for me to get it going again.
There are some really freaky electrical buzzing sounds coming from the PSU area now when i power on... so could it be a bad psu? or could it be some other hardware problem?

Edited by Artimecion, 26 February 2006 - 11:28 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A funky PSU could possibly give those symptoms, what kind of PSU is it whats its wattage and is it a generic, thats a fairly power hungry system itll need at least 400W on the PSU. If youve got another PSU that you know works and has enough wattage to run the system with minimum components give it a try.

Artimecion

Artimecion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Its a generic 400w psu.
I do experience blips occasionally with it - sometimes when i put a USB2 device in the pc either turns off or restarts - i dont know if that is connected though?
It also doesnt have enough connectors for the system, so im having to use 2 'y' connectors to link up an exhaust fan and the graphics card.

Im thinking of buying a 500+ w psu - do you think that would help anything?

im quite worried about the nasty electric crackling the pc makes now sometimes when i turn the power on =S

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Checking, or having the wiring checked has to be a good move

Artimecion

Artimecion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
=( got my hopes up then by disconnecting and re-connecting all the wiring inside the pc - it loaded 1st time.
Only to have it crash again on UT2003 then not turn on for ages...

it must be a psu problem then, it seems like anytime the computer needs to put that extra bit of power into the graphics card or USB2 device it stops working..

Is there any chance something might have blown inside my pc to create these problems?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As it is a September PC, is it subject to warranty, certainly the parts should be, no need to mention opening the case