Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a wireless card for my PC

• Please log in to reply

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Hi I have a new PC in my room and I'm looking for a reasonably cheap wireless card to play online games for it (not a laptop).
My router is a BT voyager 2000 Wireless ADSL modem. What card do you reccomend? (my PCis essentially directly above the router as my bedroom is the one above it).
EDIT- woops wrong section. Well I suppose it counts seeing as i'll be playing games on it :tazz:

Edited by inferno_blaze, 26 February 2006 - 10:43 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
especially for first person shooters wireless cards are not recomended. they have to high a latency and cause lots of lag.

whatever cheap card is available at your local pc store should work just fine as long as its name brand. belkin, dlink, linksys all have cheap cards.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
how would i go about or what would be the cost of getting a direct connection?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
gonna move this into networking as it's soon to become a networking question

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
all you would need is a cat 5 (or 5e or 6) patch cable long enough to go from the nic card on your pc...to your adsl modem...assuming that there is a free ethernet port on that modem.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ok then, thanks. Know where I could get one and the price? (i ssure hope my dad agrees to this) Plus what does the thing I need a free point of look like?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....any computer shop will have the patch cables..and the price depends on the length...i would assume y ou would need at least 25 feet..if not 50 to go from your room to downstairs....so...probably not more than 50 bucks i think (i make my own..so..don't really have a price)...the port on the modem would look like a fatter phone jack...

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
[bleep]. There are no free ports on the back of the router. Any chance of a multitab thingy? Otherwise I suppose I'm stuck with a wireless card.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the modem only has one eithernet port...you can get a simple ethernet hub or switch to connect the machines to...so you'd have

phone lilne to modem > modem to hub/switch (ethernet) > hub/switch to computers (ethernet)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.cablestog...d=704&sku=19305 <---here's a 50 ft patch cable for 25 bucks....

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Alright thanks i'll chek up on this stuff with my dad. (BTW i live in the uk so i'm not sure if that's an american site or not). Thanks alot

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it technically is..but i think they ship overseas...if not...you can check the local computer shops..

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Ok thanks alot for your help I really apreciate it (been trying to get the comp online for ages). If I have any more Q's I'll write them back here