Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes

• Please log in to reply

Geddon00

Geddon00

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently, I've installed Windows XP to replace Windows 2000 a couple of months ago. Since then, whenever I play games or use applications that use up a good amount of the graphic card and the computer, at random times, the computer will either restart, lockup, or display a blue screen which I can't get out of that says something like this: "An error has occured...". Sometimes it'll do this a couple of minutes after I start up the game or application, other times I'll be able to use the game or application for up to an hour without any problems.

Also, before I installed Windows XP, I had to take out my 20 GB hard drive to move the files over to another computer so they wouldn't get lost and then I reinstalled the hard drive into the computer.

Also, I use Norton AntiVirus.

My system specs are:

Windows XP Proffesional
Intel
Pentium 4 CPU 1500 MHZ
1.50 GHz, 1.50 GB of RAM
Geforce FX 5700
2 hard drives, 20 GB and 80 GB

Please help if you can. Thanks.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Run your antivirus and antispyware programs to clean malware.

2: Check in device manager that all hadware items have their proper drivers (no yellow ? or !)

3: Start > run > cmd > chkdsk /f /r > enter. This will check errors in your disk.That takes some time. If still no good:

4: Unplug the computer from the wall socket and open the side cover. Check that all connections are well secured. Pay special attention to the HD you removed and reinstalled. Pull out the ram sticks, clean the contacts on the modules and the slots thoroughly. Check that dust is not blocking the heatsink. Restart. if still not good:

5: Download install and run Everest home edition. Run your antivirus for 10 minutes at least and then click Computer > sensor and report temperatures of CPU, HD and motherboard. Report voltages of the system.

6: Download and run memtest86. run it for 30 minutes at least. report if there are any errors.

7: In Everest check the make of your HD. Enter the manufacturer's internet site download and run a diagnostic tool. That will give you an idea about the HD condition.

That would be enough for the moment. Your description of the problem leads to a possible hardare problem. We try to check part of the hardware at this stage. If all the above don't help then we'll continue with checking the power supply unit.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
your computer is fairly old and those P4 from 1.4 to 1.8 CPU are one of those first one came out and has lots of problem. beside that it was the time beetwin ME to XP. what hapen is those CPU don't funtion too well with XP even though they say it made for XP. Make it short, it was the time that both hardware and software change over and nothing seemed want to work together. I used to put systems together for people for living and Most of the time what hit me were conflict in video driver/sound and most of the time I would find update driver at manufacture site. and for games crashing, I would go to the game official site and usualy find the answers at question and answer section.
I rulled out the heat problem on your machine for now since the time frame for crash too wide and too random. So I would check for new drivers update for now and give it few tries before any thing else.

Geddon00

Geddon00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I did update the graphics card already and I don't think it's a specific game because its happened in many of my games, but the thing you said about the sound/video drive conflicts I think I have that. Someone on another board suggested this problem too and I checked the IRQ's on my computer and it seems that my video card and usb universal bus port are sharing the same IRQ and conflicting with eachother.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I think you misunderstand me because of my spelling and the way I explainning thing. What I mean is to find workable drivers for your devices. for that generation of computer, newest drivers doesn't mean better. Windows XP do away well with managing IRQ and would not too worry about that. If you are using the original XP then you will need alot of drivers loading and updating and still run in to trouble. What I find is the newer XP SP2 CD include lot more drivers for those older devices and if they work, they will usually do well without having to get drivers from manufactures. One more thing, get the latest BIOS update would be a good move.
Still now I have a few OEM video card from that time back that I can find perfect driver that can do every thing smoothly with XP.
For right now I would take out the Audio driver and try to run and see if it make the differrence. Wish that I can help you alot more.

Geddon00

Geddon00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
One more thing, how do I find out what update is right for my bios since there are many updates to choose from and can I just disable the sound driver? Thanks for all your help.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Bios should be the latest just make sure it is for your board. Look at date and version you should figure it out no problem.
For sound thing, Right click my computer, property,hard ware,device manager, right click on sound device, property,device usage, do not use this device.
Kill them all and run the machine without see how it is doing.
To turn them back on, do the same thing but choose the use this device option.

Edited by mcpscomp, 28 February 2006 - 12:27 AM.