Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which PCI-e Graphics Card do I buy?

• Please log in to reply

Symn

Symn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi I'm upgrading my comp atm and I'm onto the upgrading of my graphics card I've bought a PCI-e motherboard, so which brand do I go for? ATI or Nvidia? I want the best for my money but I don't want a really expensive card nothing more than £250. Any suggestions? :tazz:

Thanks
Symn

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are from the UK its a no brainer go for ATI cheaper and faster, US get nvidia because they are cheaper.

If you are in the UK an x1800XT is in your price range(256Mb version under 512 a bit over) US i would say something like a 7800GT i think they are in that price bracket but i cant remember us pricing off the top of my head.

Symn

Symn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok then well next that leads me onto which company do I go with Club, HIS, Gecube etc? which is better in your opinions? :tazz:

Symn

Symn

Symn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was originally going for a eVGA 7800GT as my friend bought one recently and it looks great but only thing that steered me away from it is the rubbish shadows the shadows on my mates eVGA 7800GT are extremely pixelated and look ugly is it likely to be the same with a ATI X1800X card? :tazz:

Symn

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No not usually its probably a gremlin in you friends drivers, and the ATI cards are more advanced when it comes to its renderers the images produced are generally of a higher quality although you cant really see the difference with the anked eye. The X1800XT is comparable to the 7800GTX and given the price being almost a hundred pounds less than a GTX its an easy choice, if you splash out you can get an x1900 and its the daddy at the moment but the x1800s are good ive got a friend who bought one when they came out and he loves it, he loved the price as well.