Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

getting nothing - help!

• Please log in to reply

davemichigan

davemichigan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
when i turn on the computer, i get an error message that reads:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
using the original Setuo CD-ROM.

\Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

ANY IDEAS? btw, Dell Dimension 4700

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi davemichigan...

Try booting to Safe Mode options (tapping the F8 key during bootup) and choose the option for "Last known good configuration".

Does this allow you to boot into Windows?

wannabe1

davemichigan

davemichigan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
nope - tried that a few times and it just goes back to the same error message.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How about Safe Mode with command prompt? Same thing?

davemichigan

davemichigan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yup - same thing.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is there a floppy drive on that machine?

davemichigan

davemichigan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no floppy - thanks for the help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Give that a shot...

wannabe1

davemichigan

davemichigan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i tried this but i ended up at a point where it gave me the option to re-install the OS and I would end up with two operating systems installed in the sames place and the window said that was not recommended?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you follow the guide carefully, it will repair the current operating system. Yes...it will appear to be reinstalling, but it's really removing and replacing the system files. Unless you see a screen that gives you options to format or you get a warning that All data will be lost if you continue, proceed as outlined in the guide.

wannabe1

davemichigan

davemichigan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it said all files and, i think applications would be lost but 'my documents' would probably be ok. is that a generic warning and it will just repair? it sounded like it was going to overwrite verything, if that makes sense

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Dave, actually, you are correct. This is going to install a second install of windows--sort of.

The error you are getting is an indication that the windows installation is too messed up to successfully repair using a windows repair install.

This will result in your programs not working, though your documents will be safe (and you will actually need to rescue your documents from your old profile, even if you create a new profile with the same name)

My guess is that is not what you want, and would prefer to save the old installation

We may be able to do that, but it will be kind of tricky

First and foremost, we need to know what tools you have at your disposal

Is the broken machine a desktop or laptop? You seem to have a second PC, what is that? You have a windows XP disk, it sounds like

Are you comfortable working inside a PC? are you familiar with the terms slave and master when it comes to harddrives?

davemichigan

davemichigan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Success! I went ahead and did the deed. It seems to have completely reloaded windows as i had to give it all kinds of info (who i am, what time zone, etc).

The fabulous news is i have hundreds of pics that seem to still be there (keep meaning to put on discs, never got around to it). My big concern was losing all the pics of familiy vacations, etc that can't be replaced.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the help. You guys are great.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're Welcome, Dave! Glad to lend a hand... :tazz:

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, there you go...I was wrong yet again...glad you didn't listen to me and listened to wannabe instead