Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my first computer

• Please log in to reply

joshszkoda

joshszkoda

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hey all

i am going to start building my new computer on friday night, hopefully all my components will have arrived by then.

however i am slightly confused about how to do one part of the built, and that is
how will i install my OS onto the HDD (windows XP) because there isnt anything on a new HDD.

please explain with details about how to do this as this is my first build of many i hope

Thanks in advance

Josh

PS im fine installing everything once i have the OS up and running

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
you just build it turen it on insert disc then restart and install its simple mate

joshszkoda

joshszkoda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
surely it cant be that easy!?!?!!?!!

thanks anyway

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
1. Build (remember to thouroughly read the manuals and take ESD precautions)

2. Turn on, insert windows installation disk, boot it up, if using sata drive which is the case with new pcs these days remember to hit f6 during the load up when prompted to install third party drivers put in the driver floppy and load them) then install windows as normal.

But there is tonnes of info about this in the internet there must be hundreds of guides just google for them.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
it is easy lol