Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with my Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

soviet_canada

soviet_canada

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was playing Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, and it crashed mid-game. I tried using alt-tab, cntrl-alt-del, etc. but none of that was working and I was forced to hard shut down. It seemed to restart as normal, but when after passing the Windows XP loading screen, my monitor stops getting video input. I restarted in safe mode and attempted reinstalling my graphics card driver (I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb), but that didn't solve the problem. I downloaded an older version of the driver from before nVidia started putting out their universal driver, and that didn't work either. I have no idea what the problem is and I'm afraid my graphics card might be shot. Anyone have any idea what I could do?

Advertisements

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi soviet_canada,

You might want to check the card is seated properly in its slot (be careful not to damage it when taking it out), then boot back up and see if it helps. If that doesn't work (and there is an element of straw clutching) boot into safe mode uninstall the driver and any Nvidia utilities and then reboot and let windows try and install a driver for the card.

Paddy