Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual moniter installation for Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok so with my newly upgraded machine is supposed to come a dual moniter system so things will be a bit more easier on me when i have three or four different music software packages open.

im not looking for blow me away graphics, just only what i need to get the job done.

my motherboard has on board graphics, so i assumed that if i just threw in a pci graphics card and changed the settings in the display options that all would be fine and dandy, but thats not the case.

i installed a standard pci graphics card that windows 2000 recognises right away. the problem though is that windows cant start it.

i have checked over the drivers and everything, and all seems to be fine, so im thinking that it has to be corrected in the system bios. am i right in thinking this and if so, where in the bios do i look to change that?

here is what im running.

Biostar GForce 6100-M7 nVidia Chipset ATX Socket 754 Motherboard
800MHz FSB for AMD Sempron 2800+ CPU
2 DDR2100 512 meg RAM Sticks,
has PCIx SLOT, and Internal nVidia GeForce 6100 Video,
8 USB 2.0, 2 PCI Slots, floppy, ATA133 IDE, 2 SATA, Gb LAN, serial,
parallel, and 6 channel v97 audio.
Windows 2000 SP4

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 RjBass Dual Monitor Setup
26th Feb 2006

Greetings – I can only offer some links on this topic right now – but from reviewing your previous topics – This is probably enough to give you a – [Jump Start] – on this project –

Just do not – [Post] – in the – [Similar Topic Links] – This would only add confusion & delay in getting additional aid/suggestions from our Staff -

Look at this Similar Topic - http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=98204
Just review – do not Post – as it would add confusion to theses threads & your present thread - and add delays for additional suggestions -

Another Similar Topic – http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=98429
Do not Post – See previous Note –

WIN 2K – Dual Monitor Article – [March 2001] –
http://msdn.microsof...tml/w9p0136.asp

PC World – Stan Miastkowski
From the April 2002 issue of PC World magazine
http://www.pcworld.c...963,pg,1,00.asp

EDIT – I referred This link – in your – [Power Supply Post] – [Additional Video Power Requirements] – may have an affect on Power Requirements – and to request – [Warriorscot] – to review this Post – [Dual Monitor] – Since he Posted in the – one of the – [Similar Topic Posts] -

Hope this helps/assists you –
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 26 February 2006 - 07:13 PM.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Thanks for the links. Since posting that I have looked at articles all over the web, most articles talk aobut just installing two video cards with almost no mention of what to do when you already have onboard graphics. However im just now getting home from a solid weekend with the family so I will take a good close look at the articles you posted. Thanks.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok so nothing I have tried has worked. I even went and got an old ATI PCI Graphics card with the proper jumper settings to turn vga graphics off and I still cant get this to work. At least with the ATI card it seems to be working properly in the device manager, i just cant figure out what I am suppoed to change to make it work properly with the nvidia card. At this point im sure it is something in the bios, but after having looked several times im just not seeing it. I have read alot on this topic now and nothing seems to address this issue and nothing give a good explanation of what to set in the bios to make it so that it will work.

Anybody have any ideas?

Edited by RjBass, 28 February 2006 - 04:13 PM.