Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simple file back up required - advice please

• Please log in to reply

jamiemac

jamiemac

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi everyone. I just suffered a head crash :) on my laptop hard drive and have lost 3 months of email and digital photos of the kids. So I guess I have finally learnt my lesson and am now prepared to implemenet a proper backup procedure.

So I am looking for advice. I have a Sony external DVD writer and a laptop running XP home which I use wirelessly. Idealy I think I would like the following features:
  • Daily incremental backup of any files or subfolders in My Documents area (i.e. jpeg's, mpeg's, *.pst, *.mny, *.office 2003..)
  • Weekly image of my operating system and installed software so I can just wipe and recopy and be back in buisness in a matter of hours rather than days in the event of a hard disk failure
  • A second backup option to my DVD writer, I guess a 'one touch' external hardrive?
  • Is it worth having a wireless external hard drive so it is in a different room to my laptop (in case of flood/fire etc..)
  • Maybe I should be considering online storage, anyone had any joy with this?
  • My budget is US$1,000 (I was prepared to pay more than that to get my hard drive recovered) or maybe I should buy a cheap wireless laptop as a backup unit!?

All adivce gratefully received

Cheers :)

:tazz: P.S. This site rocks This site rocks This site rocks This site rocks This site rocks This site rocks This site rocks :)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well you are wanting enterprise level backup solutions. however, you are in luck. as the size of today's hdd's have increased the availablilty of good backup solutions has as well.

there are two options: NAS (network attached storage) and the external hdd with one touch backup solutions.

check out the review for western digital's netcenter drive: http://www.xbitlabs....-netcenter.html

check out the review for maxtor's one touch backup: http://www.xbitlabs....uch2-fw800.html

do date I don't know of any solution that would make the external hdd wireless. much easier to make your laptop wireless. However, from performance issues caused by high latency and possible disconnects I would highly suggest backing up over a wired connection.

I have an overadundance of firewire ports. I would probably go with something that could do both usb/firewire, and if it happen to do networking as well.... then fantastick.

jamiemac

jamiemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok duh, I get what you are saying and yes I suppose there is no reason why I can't simply place my wireless router in a different room with LAN cable networked HDD. Many thanks for pointing that out.

Makes me a little worried about securtiy, I mean I know how to limit access to my laptop using firewalls but how do you do that with a networked HDD?

So looks like you have put me on the right track harware wise, any ideas on great simple to use backup software? For all my interest in IT I know that deep down I need an automated backup solution..

Many thanks for your help. :tazz:

Jamie Mac

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the hdd comes with its own software. unlike an os, it can't be modified unless you upload an update to it. it has its own access controls. besides it sits behind your router.

jamiemac

jamiemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok well here's the solution I came up with:

I have bought True Image ver. 9.0

I have bought a Maxtor 200Gb networked harddrive (would have preferred Western Digitals Essential Net Centre 250Gb but can't get it here in Australia).

Anyway combined with DVD writer I reckon I have now have a great backup solution and i can't wait to start using it.

Thanks to all for your help!

This call can be closed..