Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wiping A Computer

• Please log in to reply

Matt Guerra

Matt Guerra

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Mother Wants to take my Old Dell To Learn How to use it. So i just want to take everything off but the operating system and internet explorer and word processing software, and anything that is a novice would need.I'm also hoping that this will speed it up a little by reducing cluter. How can i get my music off of that computer to my new laptop.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Probably the easist way is with a USB network if you are not set up in any other kind of network.

http://www.windowsne...mig/usbmain.htm

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

To get rid of unwanted programs, go to control panel->Add/remove programs & uninstall everything you want to remove

To delete documents, just open My Documents & delete the contents

Go to control panel->Internet Options->Delete files. Tick the 'delete all offline content' box & click OK

To move all your music files to your laptop depends on what hardware you have available. The best way, if you have a CD burner on the Dell, is to copy them all to CD. Assuming you have a CD player in the laptop, you can then just copy them over.

After all this, you should defrag the hard drive on the Dell