Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GuildWars Trouble Starting

• Please log in to reply

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Ok, well, you'll probably wnt to know my computer specs. 3GHz 512 Ram Dell Dimension Desktop 8400 Win XP Home SP2.
Next, the last thing I did before it stopped working:
I downloaded an unofficial "lag reductor" from a website (i cant find it anymore)
and I think there must have been some type of keylogger/malware with it.
I attempted running GW(Guild Wars) after running the program and it wouldnt start.
I reinstalled, notified my ISP (Bellsouth/DSL) to see if there was any problems with my DSL connections or IP Passthrough, and there are no ports blocked, so that cant be the problem.
I ran some MSCONFIG tips for startup and servises and went in safe mode and tried all that, and none of it works.
I can send the file that I had downloaded if you want it, but Im not going to attach it here or give a public link to it for fear that it IS malware, so if any expert (authorized by G2G forums) wants me to send it to them, I will.
I have no idea now on how to fix it. I used my CD to reinstall or attempt to repair installation and no luck.
On a side note, using Control Panel to uninstall GW does not work. The computer does not respond to me clicking "Change/Remove" as if I hadnt pressed it at all.
Any tips on this would be highly helpful.
I ran Ad-Aware and an Avast! scan and found 2 pieces of malware, and one corrupted registry file.
I used Ad-Aware and Avast! to remove these files, and rebooted my computer, but still no luck.

Please respond as soon as possible with what I should do next.

I have already notified GuildWars support of this issue but they said they may take upto 3 days to respond, so i was checking if this could be any more helpful and faster.

If you cannot help me, please say so and I will wait for response from GW Support.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Paradox924X, 28 February 2006 - 06:10 PM.

Advertisements

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
BUMB so you can see that this needs to be moved to the MalWare forum. Please and Thank You!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't see anything here that would help the malware guys out so let's help you help them

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.