Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Dell

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
So far the icon for disc cleanup is holding. Since I created a #2 disk cleanup icon cannot follow your instructions for this case but they sure were helpful for me for future problems like this. I never did know wherer to go to change an icon. Thanks for this little tip. Will be watching my desktop icons more closely now.

AS yet have not found how to do a hijack log - still looking for instructions.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download hijack from my signature

Run it, click DO A SYSTEM SCAN AND SAVE LOG FILE

Safe the file as hijack.txt on your desktop

click on ADD REPLY, not FAST REPLY

click on BROWSE button, navigate to desktop, select hijack.txt

click ADD THIS ATTACHMENT

click ADD REPLY BUTTON

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Here is attachment as requested. Hope I did it correctly. Followed your instructions but when I do the attachment and then click on add this attachment it switches to another window where I am told I cannot attach a file with this extension. Can advise?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
To gerryf - not sure if you got my post re hijack this file. Have been trying to send it but keep getting the message that txt extension is not permitted re this reply. Must be doing something wrong.

And re game playing problems, have learned to turn off hyperthreading and gotten one game to play. Will be trying same with others. Also heard of DosBox and will give that a try with games to see if that will help.

Re the mouse - put the Dell corded optical mouse back on PC (was using non- corded mouse) and having new deskpad. So far mouse is behaving now.

Have yet to try the desktop appearances suggestion - am back to work and find that it really interferes in one's PC life:( So when have time will try the idea presented re Kelly's Korner.

Again thanks to all for their help and suggestions.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
right click it and choose SENT TO compressed file and zip it up

then attach

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Attached File  hijackthis.zip   2KB   116 downloads

Ah ha - knew I was missing the boat somewhere. Here is the file.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I tried the Kelly's Korner download of saving settings. Appeared to be a neat little program. However, for some reason it did not work re my PC. Again after logging off and back on in the AM - found my settings back to Windows XP rather than on windows classic which I prefer. Surely do have a stubborn PC :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you tried

start > run
services.msc
<enter>

scroll down to themes, double click, hit STOP and set the start up type to disabled...never have to see themes again...

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Excellent idea - will see how that goes now! :tazz: If it works you will be the first to ever have resolved this problem.