Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP takes 5 mins to shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Jezza

Jezza

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm running XP, and recently had to repair it (using the method listed in this forum). Now when I go to shutdown my computer, it literally takes abour 5 minutes to shutdown. It just seems to sit there without doing anything.

It's not a major drama, but is very annoying. What could be the problem, and is there anyway to fix it?

Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Download the User Profile Hive cleaner from the above page, install it and reboot.

If that does not help, start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under SYSTEM and APPLICATION at the time during a shutdown and report any errors (red Xs) you see

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Well that uphcleaner thing has improved the logoff by a huge lot, however it still hangs for a while in part where it says windows logging off.

I've checked the event viewer, and all the system problems occur on the 22nd of feb. I've experienced this slow shutdown last night, and it has no associated errors with it. I also cannot tell if the errors occur during a shutdown or not. As far as I can tell, the errors that do occur in applications are not before a shutdown, because it lists more stuff going on in other applications after the error, and before the break in time which represents the shutdown time.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
next step

start > run
cmd
<enter>

chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes to schedule on next boot