Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Writer doesn't recognise blank disc

• Please log in to reply

Elementzz

Elementzz

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a Windows ME and it comes with a built in CD Writer. When I put in a blank disc it doesn't recognise it and says theres no disc in the drive. I had this problem before I reformated my computer. After I reformated it the CD Writer worked fine until recently. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I used to have WME, and glad to say I got rid of it. I installed W2K-Pro on that system. I probably forgot everything I used to know about ME. I know there is a fix for "drive not recordable" that applies to WXP and W2K. See http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q316529
If this does not help, you could go to M$ support and search for a similar solution that applies to ME.

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well.. The problem is that the drive doesn't recognise the blank disc, not that the computer doesn't recognise the drive.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm not sure if this applies to Windows ME, but you can try it:

Open up My Computer. Right-click on your cd burner and select Properties. Click on the Recording tab. Make sure the "enable cd recording on this drive" option is checked.

If that doesn't apply to you, you can go to Device Manager, find your CD device, uninstall/remove it, and then reinstall it. That may fix it too.

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok so after I uninstalled the drive my computer had to be restarted. When I went back to reinstall it, it was already there and it still doesn't work. I tried updating the drivers but it says I have the latest version.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Admittantly, I too have been out of ME for awhile, so I have to ask this question... what is it that "normally" used to happen when you put a blank disc in the CDROM? Did the action launch a CD burning program?
Does the CD drive work normally for other things?

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Normally when I put a blank disc in a program automatically starts up and asks me what I want to do with the disc. The drive reads discs with data just fine, it just doesn't recognise blank ones.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Is this a windows me program, or a recording program like nero?

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Windows ME comes with a program but I have Nero too.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
open my computer. Righ click on the CD Drive and select properties. under the autoplay tab select blank CD and the choose what action to perform when you insert blank CD

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Give me a little time. I'm going to load up WinMe on a spare blank hard drive I have laying around. I'll be back in about 45 minutes. We'll see what we can find out. :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
memberix... there is no autoplay in ME.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Well, I installed ME and put a blank disc into two different drives. Nothing happens.

If I doubleclick on either drive, I am presented with a window with the following information.

Please insert a disk into drive G (H for the other drive)

There doesn't seem to be a program that is natively installed during ME that would allow recording data.

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Nero doesn't detect the disc and when I click on my drive in My Computer it also doesn't recognise the disc and asks for me to put in a disc.

Edited by Elementzz, 28 February 2006 - 03:01 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, maybe I'm not understanding your problem.

First off, WinME doesn't appear to have a "native" program for recording CDs on a fresh install. This means that right after installation, there is no means to record data unless you install a recording program like Nero. So if you simply put a blank CD into your drive and double click on it in My Computer, WinME will not know what to do with it and will come back with the message to insert a disc. It simply cannot read a blank disc.

When you say Nero doesn't detect the disc, what exactly does that mean? Does Nero even recognize your CD/RW drive? What version of Nero are you using?

Do this... put a blank CDR into your drive, launch Nero. If a New Compilation window opens, close it.

Now in the main Nero window, go to the menu and click on Recorder, select Choose Recorder. Make sure Nero recognizes and selects the recorder, then click OK.

Go back to the menu and under Recorder, select Disc info. Read the disc information and find the Available Capacity that Nero lists (time and Mbs) and post it here.