Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Writer doesn't recognise blank disc

• Please log in to reply

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
"No disc inserted or drive not ready, please try again"

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, you're going to have to give me more than one sentence responses. Did Nero even recognize your CD/RW drive???

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes, when I went to Recorder Nero recognized the drive but when I selected Disc Info it said "No disc inserted or drive not ready, please try again"

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you go into Device manager, expand the CD Drive tree, and post the full model number of your CD drive in your next reply.

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
LG CD-RW CED-8080B

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, I'm running out of ideas. I wanted to model number to search for a firmware update as sometimes CD drive firmware can become corrupt. I found too many different updates and would not want to recommend something that could actually kill your drive completely.

I will ask for a few more eyes to come look at this issue. Please check back on this thread in a short while.

Thanks

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Just outta curiosity, is the disc you keep putting in a CD-RW? If so, is it dirty, scratched, or has been used several times before?

My CD-RW drive will not read dirty, scratched, or CD-RWs that have been reused several times. If that is your situation, I'd try a fresh CD-RW or even a CD-R.

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
No its a brand new disc, I just got it a couple days ago.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
What is the exact type of disc you are trying to use. Cause i've read that your model of CD-RW cant write to high speed CD-RW media. It can read them but you can't use them for burning.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I've spent the better part of 2 hours looking around the web for a firmware update for your drive. It appears this drive is very old and LG doesn't even list any updates for it.

I can't imagine that Nero can recognize the drive, but cannot read the disc, unless there is something else going on with your drive. One of the suggestions given to me by wannabe1 is to update your Nero software. While this is a possibility, I have a stong feeling it's not going to make a difference seeing as your drive is quite old and your Nero version probably already supports it. In any case, updating Nero might be something to try... nothing to lose at this point.

Reading some google forums, I found out that LG had at one time released a special update for Dell and IBM branded computers using your particular drive. However, this update is nowhere to be found... at least I couldn't find it!

I tend to believe that it's possible your firmware is corrupted, but there is no way to check this out to see if it's the case. Reflashing firmware on any drive is dangerous and must be done at your own risk. This is why I am reluctant to recommend it. Not only that, but most of the firmware I have found for your drive requires you to do it in DOS... actually, this means run it from a floppy. The other problem is that the instructions for the firmware are translated from German and not very clear! However, if you want to attempt flashing your drive, HERE is a link to firmware version 1.06. Just look down the page for your model number. Remember, you do this at your own risk and be aware that if the flash doesn't take, you will have to probably buy a new drive!

I'm actually hoping updating Nero will work to fix the problem. Good luck!

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
New to this part of forum. Don't know if the problem solve yet? But any way, this LG drive if I am not mistaken it is an 4 or 8 time drive I used on few machines and it came with and seemed to work only with Easy CD Creator 5.

Edited by mcpscomp, 10 March 2006 - 09:51 AM.