Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i do not trust my router.

• Please log in to reply

Absent

Absent

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
ok so um. my router just like for no reason stops working as well as it should. sometimes i just get these huge lag spikes that last at least an hour or so. any ideas on how to fix it?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try going to the manufacturers web page and checking for a firmware update.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Routers are pretty simple Usually they just work or dont. You may have lost your settings or may need to put them in manually. Heres a site on linksys routers. I use a netgear router and it is similar but there are some differences. To access my router i open a browser and type in http address of 192.168.0.1.

http://www.2kevin.net/router.html

http://kbserver.netg...les/N101145.asp

If your router wont save its settings you might need to buy a new router. I have had 3 hubs and a router damaged by lightning strikes. I now have a surge suppressor($50 for the one i got) on my cable line to stop this while my puters are on a UPS.

SRX660

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Who makes your router? While this might seem like a strange question it is because not all routers are built the same. A friend had a problem with a netgear router which would hang after a bit and it seems that it is a design problem with respect to his ISP. In that case, you would need to replace the router with a better one.

Absent

Absent

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Linksys...its a wireless router. do you think someone is tapping into my wireless connection? or did the router die on me?

Absent

Absent

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
what is firmware?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

what is firmware?

Firmware is the program which is stored in a hardware device, like a eeprom, rather than on a disk, cdrom, floppy, etc. It is the software which runs the device. Often you can upgrade the firmware to deal with bugs and problems, although it can introduce other issues as any new software can.

Absent

Absent

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
oh