Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User Accounts Mystery

• Please log in to reply

BRibs

BRibs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am the administrator on a Windows XP home machine with User Accounts for my wife and son: My account is the only one with a password. The accounts can all be accessed as normally (the account names and icons are all intact) from the Welcome screen, and my password is operable, but if I try to access the User Accounts applet in Control Panel, the applet window opens with a blank window and an error box opens with "Unspecified Error". When I click "OK" and then click on the "back arrow" in the title bar of the applet window, a new error dialogue reads " 'g_Navigator' is null or not an object ". This reappears every time I click the arrow.

I rebooted into Safe mode and tried the User Account applet: It opened this time, but the only "users" identified were me, "Administrator" and "Guest". When I went back into Normal mode, the problems in the first paragraph reappeared.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
You may want to read THIS

Please type the entries EXACTLY as you see them.

Edited by makai, 27 February 2006 - 03:03 AM.

BRibs

BRibs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Makai.
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 desktop: Pentium 4A 2400 mhz, Dell motherboard with Intel Tehama i850E chipset and 512 mb rdram and a Phoenix BIOS. The operating system is XP Home, SP2, which I update regularly with updates from Microsoft's site. I also run ZoneAlarm Pro and Norton AV. I've had the PC for more than 3 years, using ZoneAlarm and Norton's, and this only occurred recently.

About the time I noticed this, I started getting warnings from Zone Alarm that LSA shell (export version) was trying to affect processing somehow. At first I denied access, and went into a few forums for an explanation where I saw vague references to Sasser worms, etc. I downloaded Macaffee's tool, which found nothing, and scanned with Nortons a couple of times with nothing detected, but I don't know if there's any connection.

Incidentally, the Aida tool (thanks for the tip!) reports all three users plus an "Administrator" (which I thought was me, but apparently I'm only a member of that group) a "Guest", a "Help Assistant" and something described as a "vendor account for help and support. . ."

Thanks again for your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Zonealarm---uninstall it for a moment and see if the error persists (I think it will not)

BRibs

BRibs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually, I seemed to lick this last night: I went into Zone Alarm Program control and changed access permissions for "LSA Shell (Export Version)" to "Allow" from "Block", and that seemed to solve the problem. I had blocked access because I was getting alerts from Zone Alarm and every reference I could find on the web mentioned worms. I switched back and forth a few times to see if the Zone Alarm settings made the difference, and that appears to be it.

I really appreciate the help, though. Thanks!