Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking A Xbox 360

• Please log in to reply

Fat_Trace

Fat_Trace

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, first time here so dunno if this has been covered.
I have just bought and installed a BT Voyager 2110 & Voyager 1055 usb adapter, connection to my PC is great, no probs there, BUT I bought it to connect my shiny new Xbox 360 to my main PC & the internet.
The problem is when I test the connection to the 360 it dectects the wireless connection but I cannot get an IP address? I have tried everything I know, the ruoter is set up properly I have checked this a dozen times at least, can it be a firewall issue?
The router is set to issue IP addresses but the xbox doesn't pick it up.
I am truly STUCK!
Any help would be fantastic.
:tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first...check these out...http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98772

second...i'm gonna move this topic over to the xbox forum..

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Maybe you could assign an IP to your XBox manually. Other than that, I really don't know what it could be. I didn't use wireless with mine (for $99 for the wireless adapter I'll run another wire into my room, thank you) and it works perfectly.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Fat_Trace and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

I need you to clarify a few of the statements in your original post first and then we will get your problem corrected.

Statement 1: The problem is when I test the connection to the 360 it dectects the wireless connection but I cannot get an IP address?"

My Question: Are we trying to just connect to XBOX Live or are we trying to Media Share?

Statement 2: "BUT I bought it to connect my shiny new Xbox 360 to my main PC & the internet."

My Question: What form of connectivity are you using for your configuration. are you using the Wired Cat5 LAN port on the Router, or are you using the 360 Wireless Adapter and connecting Wirelessly to your router.

Statement 3: "The router is set to issue IP addresses but the xbox doesn't pick it up".

My Question: Are you using Dialup, DSL, or cable as your ISP? Does your ISP reccomend an Automatic or Static IP Address?

Fat_Trace

Fat_Trace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello Fat_Trace and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

I need you to clarify a few of the statements in your original post first and then we will get your problem corrected.

Statement 1: The problem is when I test the connection to the 360 it dectects the wireless connection but I cannot get an IP address?"

My Question: Are we trying to just connect to XBOX Live or are we trying to Media Share?

Statement 2: "BUT I bought it to connect my shiny new Xbox 360 to my main PC & the internet."

My Question: What form of connectivity are you using for your configuration. are you using the Wired Cat5 LAN port on the Router, or are you using the 360 Wireless Adapter and connecting Wirelessly to your router.

Statement 3: "The router is set to issue IP addresses but the xbox doesn't pick it up".

My Question: Are you using Dialup, DSL, or cable as your ISP? Does your ISP reccomend an Automatic or Static IP Address?

Ans 1. Hopefully both!

Ans 2. Wireless.

Ans 3. DSL, ISP is Automatic.

Thanx

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Welcome back Fat_Trace,

Lets first try a factory restore on all equipment with a power boot to see if we can get you going. Please follow these steps:

1. Turn the 360 off and unlpug it from power
2. Turn the Computer off and unplug it from power
3. Turn the DSL Modem off and unplug it from power
4. On your router you should have a very tiny hole located either on the rear or front of the unit. Use a needle or pencil and insert it into the hole and press down the button inside for about 1 minute.
5. Release the button, wait about 10 seconds and unplug power from the router
6. Plug Power into the DSL Modem and wait for it to reach full sync.
7. Plug Power into the Router and wait for it to reach full sync.
7A. Turn the Computer Back on
7B. After it boots Select the START Button (bottom left)
7C. Select RUN
7D. Type in CMD or COMMAND Depending on your Operating System
7E. This will launch the Command Screen. In here Typ this: IPCONFIG /ALL :and hit ENTER. Post the results <REPLY 1>
7F. Copy down the Default Gateway Address and open your web browser. Put the Default Gateway address into the Browser address bar and hit enter.
7G. Default Usernames are ADMIN, or left blank.... Default Passwords are ADMIN... if those dont work locate the manufacturer website and search thier support FAQ to get it.
7H. Once in the Setup we need the Following information: i do not have your router so I cannot walk you through how to get it, but just follow the links and you should be able to find it: we need: 1) the SSID Broadcast Name, 2) Network Type, and 3) type of Wireless Security used.
7I. Once you have this information DO NOT SAVE anything Just close out the Browser and shut down your Computer.
8. Plug power into the 360 and turn it on. When it starts go to the Dashboard.
8A. Go to the SYSTEM tab
8B. Go to Network Settings
8C. Go to Edit Settings
8D. Under IP Settings, Press the GREEN A button
8E. Under Edit Ip Settings, Select AUTOMATIC
8F. Under DNS Settings, Press the GREEN A button
8G. Under Edit DNS Settings, Select AUTOMATIC
8H. Under Wireless Mode, Press the GREEN A button
8I. Verify that Network Name SSID, Network Type, and Wireless Security are all matches to Step 7H
8J. When verified Press the RED B button
8K. Now you are back at the Network Settings Menu. From here select the "Test XBOX Live Connection"
9. Post back and let me know what it says Now... <RFEPLY 2>

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 01 March 2006 - 11:34 AM.

GR8 Anhialator

GR8 Anhialator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Cowboy,

I wanted you to know that your post helped me out a lot!

At least, it explained how to change the IP address of my XBOX 360. My dilemna is this: I want to connect two XBOX 360's (one wired, one wireless) to XBOXLIVE, along with a wireless laptop, to my new DLINK DGL-4300 gaming router. Do I need to create a virtual server (on the router) in order to accomodate the SECOND 360, since gaming rules can apply only to one XBOX 360 at a time? How would you go about setting up the PORT forwarding (if any), GAMEFUEL (if any)? I'm lost.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
oops crosspost

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 07 June 2006 - 10:36 AM.