Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing my default media player

• Please log in to reply

crybaby

crybaby

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I somehow have RealPlayer set as my default media player and would like to change that. Can someone please tell me how to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what would you like to change it to?

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I guess I would rather have windows or quicktime. I have been having problems viewing/listening to some media ever since RealPlayer took over!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Whenever you install a media player, if you blink during the install, it will set itself as the default player

Open media player, click tools, options, file types, either:

select the types of media you want it to play by ticking the boxes then click apply

Click select all, click apply

Close then re-open the media player or close the player and then open a media file

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Great! Thanks for your help! I appreciate this forum so much!! I just don't know where I'd be without it!!

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Well, I knnow it's been a while but, I finally follwed the instructions you guys gave me. Meanwhile, WMP is not working at all! I don't know what happened! I can't hear any audio or view any video with this program. All other media players work fine, but WMP is where almost all of my media files are located, and I would really like to keep it that way. Any suggestions on how to get this corrected?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which version of media player do you have?

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I am using WMP version 10.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If system restore was on when you installed WMP10 then you can use add / remove to uninstall it then see if you have the problem when it rolls back to WMP9

OR

You can download WMP10 (3802) and see if you have the problem

http://www.filehippo...s_media_player/

Make sure system restore is on

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I know this may be a stupid question but, what is system restore? And how do I make sure that it is on before I follow the next steps?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then help and support, click undo changes to my computer with system restore, click system restore settings, at this point or before, it will have said if system restore is on

System restore keeps a record of the changes made to the PC configuration, right from the installation of XP to the present, including installs and uninstalls of programmes, if you install something which does not agree with the rest of the PC, you can use system restore to undo it, which is the reason for the suggestion to use it here, if it does not go to plan, it is an easy reversal

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also your media files are not loacted in media player they located in a file on your HD (probably my music) any media player can access them.

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Thanks Keith! It works now. I appreciate your help and your patience! Thanks again!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know