I was told by my McAfee Virus Scan that I had picked up a virus called "Alemod", or something along those lines. I ran a full scan of my machine and that turned up as the only infected file found. However, McAfee would not allow me to delete, clean or even quarantine the file and asked me to check whether or not it was a read-only file.
I had no idea how to do this, so I gave my friend Gary a call. He's my computer go-to guy and usually gives me good advice.
He told me to do the following.
1. Go into safe mode.
2. Go to C:/windows/system32 (where the infected file was)
3. Find the infected file, which was wininet.dll
4. Cut and paste it to the desktop
5. Replace it with a clean version of the file, which he had sent me via MSN Messenger.
6. Remove comp from safe mode, and reboot.
Now, whenever I try to load my profile is when the problems occur. The icons on my desktop keep disappearing and re-appearing, sort of like as if my profile is rebooting itself. The task bar and start menu line across the bottom of the screen does the same. And I can't click on anything whatsover or run any programmes.
I can use my sister's profile though to access the net, but I can't go to My Computer or indeed open McAfee and a whole slew of other programmes.
Is there any way I can fix this myself, or do I need to bring my PC to the shop?