Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alemod virus

• Please log in to reply

johnbalfe

johnbalfe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys, I'd appreciate any help given...

I was told by my McAfee Virus Scan that I had picked up a virus called "Alemod", or something along those lines. I ran a full scan of my machine and that turned up as the only infected file found. However, McAfee would not allow me to delete, clean or even quarantine the file and asked me to check whether or not it was a read-only file.

I had no idea how to do this, so I gave my friend Gary a call. He's my computer go-to guy and usually gives me good advice.

He told me to do the following.

1. Go into safe mode.
2. Go to C:/windows/system32 (where the infected file was)
3. Find the infected file, which was wininet.dll
4. Cut and paste it to the desktop
5. Replace it with a clean version of the file, which he had sent me via MSN Messenger.
6. Remove comp from safe mode, and reboot.

Now, whenever I try to load my profile is when the problems occur. The icons on my desktop keep disappearing and re-appearing, sort of like as if my profile is rebooting itself. The task bar and start menu line across the bottom of the screen does the same. And I can't click on anything whatsover or run any programmes.

I can use my sister's profile though to access the net, but I can't go to My Computer or indeed open McAfee and a whole slew of other programmes.

Is there any way I can fix this myself, or do I need to bring my PC to the shop?

Thanks,

John

Advertisements

johnbalfe

johnbalfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh, by the way.. I did read through the "You must read this before posting" post, but i'm hindered from doing the majority of the suggested tasks because my PC won't do a lot of the most basic functions, such as opening the My Computer folder etc...

John

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have an XP CD

johnbalfe

johnbalfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm sure I could track one down, yes.

UPDATE: Managed to run the Spybot search & destroy programme, but it detected nothing of note. And the Trend Micro online virus scan crashed Firefox.

johnbalfe

johnbalfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
UPDATE:

I just spent the last 25 minutes on the phone with Dell tech support. I ran a hardware check, which turned out okay. It was also suggested that I perform a System Restore, but I can't even open that.

This is most frustrating... Any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

OR

You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

johnbalfe

johnbalfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Keith, thank you so much. The system restore from the command prompt did the trick. I really can't thank you enough.

John

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know