Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server running slowly even after memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply

ecarder

ecarder

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Recently in our office, our host computer was updated to Windows XP. There are four other computers linked to that system. One computer mainly works in DOS, another is also using XP and the other two are using Windows 98 and Windows ME. We use Quick Books, PC-Cillen and basic Word and Excel Programs. The host computer is running slowly even after a memory upgrade. My question pertains to the slowness of the host computer. Do you have any ideas about what might be wrong? We had no problems before the installation of Windows XP.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what are the full system specs of the host?

ecarder

ecarder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

what are the full system specs of the host?

System: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Computer: Windows ME Intel® Pentium ® CPU 3.06 GHz, 3.07 GHz, 1.24 GB of RAM

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where did you get that info...and why is it saying ME there?

ecarder

ecarder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

where did you get that info...and why is it saying ME there?

I got that info from system properties on the host computer. I'm not sure why there are two different programs for the System and then the Computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go HERE and skip to step 5 (Step Five: Posting a Hijack This Log). Follow all of the steps for scanning your computer and generating a log. when the scan is complete, press the "Save log" button. A "Save Log file" dialog box will appear. Type Hijackthis.txt for the file name and make sure that "save as type" is set to "all files". Save this file to a location that you will remember (your desktop is good). Now on your next post ATTACH this newly created txt file with your next post.
DO NOT POST THE CONTENTS OF THE HIJACK THIS LOG. This will encourage others to do this as well and we do not want that.

ecarder

ecarder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Please go HERE and skip to step 5 (Step Five: Posting a Hijack This Log). Follow all of the steps for scanning your computer and generating a log. when the scan is complete, press the "Save log" button. A "Save Log file" dialog box will appear. Type Hijackthis.txt for the file name and make sure that "save as type" is set to "all files". Save this file to a location that you will remember (your desktop is good). Now on your next post ATTACH this newly created txt file with your next post.
DO NOT POST THE CONTENTS OF THE HIJACK THIS LOG. This will encourage others to do this as well and we do not want that.

I downloaded and ran the scan, but am not prompted with a Save Log File box.

ecarder

ecarder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Attached Files

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
after it runs the scan...in the bottom left corner...there is a box that says save log

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)

describe the method used for upgrading to xp (doesn't seem as though it took)

Advertisements

ecarder

ecarder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

describe the method used for upgrading to xp (doesn't seem as though it took)

A Windows XP Service Pack was installed on the Host. I scanned my computer. I was not able to scan the host as it is in use.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a windows xp service pack?
so the server is running ME....then you downloaded an administrative install of service pack 2 for xp? or what...i don't understand for sure...

ecarder

ecarder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

a windows xp service pack?
so the server is running ME....then you downloaded an administrative install of service pack 2 for xp? or what...i don't understand for sure...

I did not install the actual software. I can only go on what is in the computer/system properties box.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....you said that the machine was upgraded to xp...who did that?

ecarder

ecarder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

ok....you said that the machine was upgraded to xp...who did that?

A computer technician that "infrequently" stops by our office