Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

properties summary gone when burning vcd mpegs

• Please log in to reply

obsessed

obsessed

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Running Windows XP home, SP2.

I have edited a bunch of mpeg1 video files and entered a whole group of summary attributes, such as author, title, comments, category, etc. I want to burn these to DVD. However, when I right-click the file and try to send it directly to my dvd burner, I get a message that the "additional information" attached to the file will be lost, do I want to continue copying anyway? Then when I click yes, I get "error copying file." So I tried using another program, Sonic RecordNow 7.2. I clicked "add files and folders" and sent the desired files to the program, burned the dvd, and when I put it back in the drive to view the files, the videos were there, but, sure enough, the attributes information was lost. I am sure I do not have anything set to "read only." Why can't I burn the details with the videos to dvd? Is there a way to do this? When I use the same program and same method to burn mp3s to data-dvd, the properties summaries come right along. What's up with the vcd mpeg1 files that I can't do this?

Advertisements

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hey obsessed,

A couple of questions, when you say burn the mpegs to DVD, do you mean data DVD or video DVD? If data dvd, you can give the free program, folder2iso, a try. It is very simple, takes in a folder and makes a burnable iso file and should not change the files (or lose attributes) in any way. You could then extract the ISO and look at the files to double-check they still have the attributes before burning. Below is the link to the program.

http://www.afterdawn.../folder2iso.cfm

Cheers,
Tom

Running Windows XP home, SP2.

I have edited a bunch of mpeg1 video files and entered a whole group of summary attributes, such as author, title, comments, category, etc. I want to burn these to DVD. However, when I right-click the file and try to send it directly to my dvd burner, I get a message that the "additional information" attached to the file will be lost, do I want to continue copying anyway? Then when I click yes, I get "error copying file." So I tried using another program, Sonic RecordNow 7.2. I clicked "add files and folders" and sent the desired files to the program, burned the dvd, and when I put it back in the drive to view the files, the videos were there, but, sure enough, the attributes information was lost. I am sure I do not have anything set to "read only." Why can't I burn the details with the videos to dvd? Is there a way to do this? When I use the same program and same method to burn mp3s to data-dvd, the properties summaries come right along. What's up with the vcd mpeg1 files that I can't do this?

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi, Tom,
Thanks for the link. I have it running as I type this. To answer your question, it is indeed a data dvd that I am trying to burn. I have one more question, being new at this, how exactly do I go about extracting the iso once it completes so that I can check that the properties are there?

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Tom, I figured out how to extract the iso, and bad news -- it didn't work. The mpeg files were there, but all the properties summary entries were blank. What's going on here?

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

I am still looking for a good free or OS ISO file extractor, but there are two programs with free trials to get the job done.

ISO Buster: http://www.isobuster.com/

Ultra ISO: http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

Cheers,
Tom

Hi, Tom,
Thanks for the link. I have it running as I type this. To answer your question, it is indeed a data dvd that I am trying to burn. I have one more question, being new at this, how exactly do I go about extracting the iso once it completes so that I can check that the properties are there?

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hmm,

Have you tried zipping the mpeg files and seeing if the attributes survive being zipped then unzipped? If so, you could try folder2iso the zip file and see if they survive. There is an awesome free OS zip archive utility called 7-zip and you can get it at:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Cheers,
Tom

Tom, I figured out how to extract the iso, and bad news -- it didn't work. The mpeg files were there, but all the properties summary entries were blank. What's going on here?

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I just zipped and unzipped 3 of the files using the 7-zip utility you gave me, and again, lost all the properties summary entries. I also lost them when I tried sending myself a file using SendThisFile.com. Yet, I can right-click the file, copy it, and paste it to another hard drive, even an external usb drive, and the properties come along. Any more ideas?

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Tom, before I started conversing with you, I had tried asking my question on CNET forums, where Bob started giving me the runaround and I wanted to scream. But maybe if you look at my conversation with him, it will trigger you with a hint and you can explain his torture. You may even come up with the answer that has eluded him.

http://reviews.cnet....threadID=159958

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hey obsessed,

I have to head to my ER shift, but I will do a quick reponse after reading through the other thread (he seems a bit arrogant, but whatever). He seems to imply that burning a DVD in UDF format will preserve the metadata "tags" you've made. It also sounds as if you have Nero Burning Rom which supports this.

When you open up Nero and go to "New Compilation" on the left side of the tab (with 'DVD-ROM ISO, DVD Copy ...'), scroll down and you will see an option for "DVD-ROM (UDF)". There are some other options that I can look through when I get back, but give it a try. It seems there are different UDF filesystems and I will see what I can find concerning them and vcd mpegs.

Hope that helps and gives you something to try for now.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom, before I started conversing with you, I had tried asking my question on CNET forums, where Bob started giving me the runaround and I wanted to scream. But maybe if you look at my conversation with him, it will trigger you with a hint and you can explain his torture. You may even come up with the answer that has eluded him.

http://reviews.cnet....threadID=159958

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
It looks from the wikipedia page for UDF you will need to use UDF file format 2.50, not sure if Nero goes this high! Take a quick look and I will post again when I get back from work.

Cheers,
Tom

Advertisements

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ER shift? So you work on people AND machines? Impressive! Bob is more than a "bit" arrogant... I was praying that ANYONE ELSE would answer my question and not him. Yes, I did try the Nero, with UDF and got the same thing. See what you can come up with later on, have a good shift. Thanks for NOT being arrogant! LOL.

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
The Nero Burning Rom I used went up to UDF 2.01, which is what I tried. So where do I get the 2.50?

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
You're right, Nero does not support UDF 2.50 that I can tell. But, I was able to find a program from Cyberlink (with a free trial) that states it supports DVD/CD burning with UDF format 2.50! So, give the free trial a download and give the UDF 2.50 file format a try and see if that does the job. Bob maybe be arrogant, but he sure knows more about vcd mpegs than I do! :^)

Cyberlink Power2Go 5
http://www.cyberlink...ain_24_ENU.html

Cheers,
Tom

ER shift? So you work on people AND machines? Impressive! Bob is more than a "bit" arrogant... I was praying that ANYONE ELSE would answer my question and not him. Yes, I did try the Nero, with UDF and got the same thing. See what you can come up with later on, have a good shift. Thanks for NOT being arrogant! LOL.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello again,

It looks like Nero does offer UDF 2.5/2.6 in it's latest updates. I found this post about "Nero Reloaded" update and it states it adds UDF 2.5/2.6 functionality. Which version of Nero do you have right now? Below is the link I found:

http://www.cdr-zone...._package_1.html

Cheers,
Tom

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I updated my Nero, and thought I was all set to go, I had it set to udf 2.50... I click BURN and get an error message that says "Error: Cannot connect TRF." I have never encountered this one before. Any ideas?

Yes, Bob knows a lot about a lot, but to extract DIRECT information from him is like trying to extract all 4 wisdom teeth simultaneously with a crowbar from behind! :tazz: